This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Star public house
|Population||538 (2011 Census)|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Fire||Bedfordshire and Luton|
|Ambulance||East of England|
|EU Parliament||East of England|
Chalton is a village and civil parish in the Central Bedfordshire district of Bedfordshire, England, immediately north of the Luton/Dunstable conurbation and bounded to the east by the M1 motorway and the Midland Main Line railway line. A footpath, locally known as the "Bound Way", borders the village to the south and south west. This path now forms part of the Chiltern Way.
The fields just around Chalton below Carters hill are the source of the River Flit.
There are several Grade II Listed Buildings in Chalton, including Gostelow House and Yew Tree Farm.
Chalton Lower School stands in the centre of the village and accepts children between ages 4 and 9.
The local public house is called The Star.
During the second world war a German bomber jettisoned a stick of bombs in Chalton, they fell on Carters hill and on the fields between the village and The Bound Way. All the bombs exploded but did no damage.
The civil parish contains a main electricity substation, to the west of the M1, south of Toddington services. From here, a 400kv line of pylons, travels northwards all the way to West Burton power station. This 150-mile line was the first full section to be built of the supergrid in 1965.
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 6 November 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2 October 2010. Retrieved 2011-01-10.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 10 July 2011. Retrieved 10 January 2011.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Finch, Claire (5 June 2010). "Experience: I ran a brothel in a country village". theguardian.com. Guardian News and Media Limited. Retrieved 23 April 2016.
- Electricity network in 2012
Media related to Chalton, Bedfordshire at Wikimedia Commons