|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Chalunka (also known as Chalunkha or Chulungkha) is a small mountainous village in the Chorbat area of the Shyok River valley in Ladakh, India. At the end of the Indo-Pakistani War of 1947, it was on the cease-fire line agreed between the India and Pakistan. After the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971, the village came under the jurisdiction of Indian-administered Jammu & Kashmir.
Operations in 1971
On 10 December 1971, the Ladakh Scouts under the command of Major Chewang Rinchen cleared the village of the Pakistani forces (two companies of Karakoram Scouts). Advancing further, they attacked Turtuk on 11 December, and captured it by 14 December.
|Children aged below 6 years||44||22||22|
|Main workers (total)||353||342||11|
|Main workers: Cultivators||36||27||9|
|Main workers: Agricultural labourers||1||1||0|
|Main workers: Household industry workers||0||0||0|
|Main workers: Other||316||314||2|
|Marginal workers (total)||9||6||3|
|Marginal workers: Cultivators||2||1||1|
|Marginal workers: Agricultural labourers||3||1||2|
|Marginal workers: Household industry workers||0||0||0|
|Marginal workers: Others||4||4||0|
- Vohra, Mythic Lore from Nubra Valley (1990), p. 231.
- Krishna Rao, Prepare or Perish (1991), p. 472, item (d).
- "Blockwise Village Amenity Directory 2014–15" (PDF). Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council. Archived from the original (PDF) on 3 April 2018.
- Chakravorty, Stories of Heroism (1995), p. 140.
- Cheema, Crimson Chinar (2015), pp. 311–312.
- "Leh district census". 2011 Census of India. Directorate of Census Operations. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- Chakravorty, B. (1995), Stories of Heroism: PVC & MVC Winners, Allied Publishers, pp. 139–140, ISBN 978-81-7023-516-3
- Cheema, Brig Amar (2015), The Crimson Chinar: The Kashmir Conflict: A Politico Military Perspective, Lancer Publishers, pp. 51–, ISBN 978-81-7062-301-4
- Rao, K. V. Krishna (1991), Prepare Or Perish: A Study of National Security, Lancer Publishers, ISBN 978-81-7212-001-6
- Vohra, Rohit (1990), "Mythic Lore and Historical Documents from Nubra Valley in Ladakh", Acta Orientalia Academiae Scientiarum Hungaricae, Akadémiai Kiadó, 44 (1/2): 225–239, JSTOR 23658122