|19th Speaker of the Parliament|
22 April 2010 – 26 June 2015
|Prime Minister||Ranil Wickremesinghe
D. M. Jayaratne
|Preceded by||W. J. M. Lokubandara|
|Member of the Sri Lanka Parliament
for Hambantota District
|Born||30 October 1942|
|Political party||Sri Lanka Freedom Party|
|Spouse(s)||Chandra Malini Rajapaksa
|Alma mater||Richmond College, Galle|
Chamal Jayantha Rajapaksa (Sinhala:චමල් රාජපක්ෂ|Tamil:சமல் ராஜபக்ஷ) (born 30 October 1942) is a Sri Lankan politician who was Speaker of the Parliament of Sri Lanka from 2010 to 2015. Previously he served as Minister of Ports & Aviation and Irrigation & Water Management. He hails from a well known political family in Sri Lanka. His father, D. A. Rajapaksa, was a prominent politician, independence agitator, Member of Parliament and Minister of Agriculture and Land in Wijeyananda Dahanayake's government. He is the elder brother of Mahinda Rajapaksa, who was President of Sri Lanka from 2005 to 2015. Nine members of the Rajapaksa family have been Members of Parliament of Sri Lanka. 
Early life and career
Rajapaksa was born in Palatuwa in the Southern District of Matara and raised in Medamulana in the District of Hambantota. He hails from a well known political family in Sri Lanka. Rajapaksa had his entire education at Richmond College, Galle. As a student he played Soccer for the School and was an Athlete. Having left school he joined the Public Service.
Entered the Public Service of Sri Lanka as a Police Officer serving in the Police Force for more than eight years. Served the State Trading General Corporation as the Asst. General Manager before getting into active politics in 1985.
Contested the by-election held in 1985 for Mulkirigala Electorate.
Entered Parliament in 1989 as a Member of Parliament of the Sri Lanka Freedom Party representing Hambantota District. Has been a Member of Parliament continuously since 1989, retaining his seat in all elections held to date.
Prior to the present appointment as Speaker of the Parliament he has held the following portfolios.
- Deputy Minister of Agriculture and Lands
- Deputy Minister of Ports & Southern Development
- Deputy Minister of Plantation Industries
- Minister of Agricultural Development
- Minister of Irrigation & Water Management
- Minister of Ports & Aviation
- "Sri Lanka Janaseva Vibhushana"
Other positions held
- President, Sri Lanka – Russia Parliamentary Friendship Association
- President, Sri Lanka – Hungary Parliamentary Friendship Association
- Chairman, District Development Committee, Hambantota (District Secretariat)
- Chairman, Hambantota Development Foundation
- Chamal shines in politics. Sunday Observer, Retrieved on 1 August 2010.
- Speaker of the Seventh Parliament of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka. Parliament website, Retrieved on 25 November 2013.
- President's Fund of Sri Lanka, President's Profile
W. J. M. Lokubandara
|Speaker of the Parliament