This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
Chamber of Deputies
Cámara de Diputades
|56th National Congress|
Length of term
|Open list proportional representation through the D'Hondt method with no threshold in multi-seat constituencies|
|21 November 2021|
|Chamber of Deputies|
National Congress of Chile
The Chamber of Deputies (Spanish: Cámara de Diputadas y Diputados)[a] is the lower house of Chile's bicameral Congress. Its organisation and its powers and duties are defined in articles 42 to 59 of Chile's current constitution.
Deputies must: be aged at least 21; not be disqualified from voting; have finished secondary school or its equivalent; and have lived in the corresponding electoral district for at least two years prior to the election.
Before 2017, a unique binomial system was used. These system rewards coalition slates. Each coalition could run two candidates for each electoral district's two Chamber seats. Typically, the two largest coalitions in a district divided the seats, one each, among themselves. Only if the leading coalition ticket out-polls the second-place coalition by a margin of more than two-to-one did the winning coalition gain both seats. with seats allocated using the simple quotient. The Chamber of Deputies meets in Chile's National Congress located in the port city of Valparaíso, some 120 km west of the capital, Santiago. The Congress building in Valparaíso replaced the old National Congress, located in downtown Santiago, in 1990
President of the Chamber
On 11 March 2022, it was agreed that the Presidency of the Chilean Chamber of Deputies would rotate between Raúl Soto (PPD), Karol Cariola (PC), Miguel Ángel Calisto (DC), Yovana Ahumada (PDG), the Broad Front (FA) and Vlado Mirosevic (PL). Likewise, the first and second vice-presidencies were assigned to people who are members of the PR, FA, PS, PC, DC and PPD.
Political composition (2022-2026)
- List of legislatures by country
- List of presidents of the Chamber of Deputies of Chile
- National Congress of Chile
- Senate of Chile
- In Spanish, the Chamber's name includes both 'Diputadas' (female Deputies) and 'Diputados' (male Deputies), which in English is just translated to the gender-neutral 'Deputies'.
- Party name and leaders current as of 15 March 2022
- Parliamentary groups does not necessarily represent membership in political parties, but the internal organisation of the congress
- Seat numbers current as of 15 March 2022
- Cámara de Diputados de Chile. "Organización y Autoridades Parlamentarias periodo legislativo 2018 - 2022" (in Spanish). Retrieved 13 August 2019.
- "The PPD Raúl Soto will assume presidency of the Chamber of Deputies". https://elmostrador.cl/. 11 March 2022. Retrieved 11 March 2022.