Chaminade High School
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Chaminade High School|
Chaminade High School building facade
340 Jackson Avenue
|Motto||Fortes in Unitate|
(Strength in Unity)
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic Marianist|
|Faculty||92 total; 58 Chaminade Alumni |
|Number of students||1693  (2017-2018)|
|Student to teacher ratio||18:1|
|Hours in school day||8:05 - 2:57|
|Color(s)||Crimson and Gold|
|Athletics||19 varsity sports|
|Rivals||St. Anthony's High School, Kellenberg Memorial High School|
|Publication||Skylight (literary magazine)|
|Yearbook||Crimson and Gold|
|Tuition||$10,960 Total Tuition Paid|
$1,725 Paid for by Torch Fund
$12,685 Total Tuition Without Torch Fund
Chaminade has a large and diverse selection of co-curricular and extra-curricular activities, with more than 90% of the students participating in at least one activity.
Chaminade offers the following sports:
- Varsity / JV / freshman cross country
- Varsity / JV / freshman football
- Varsity / JV / JVB soccer
- Freshman swimming
- Indoor Track and field
- Varsity / JV wrestling
- Varsity / JV / freshman basketball
- Varsity bowling
- Varsity / JV hockey
- Varsity riflery
- Varsity swimming
- Outdoor Track and field
- Varsity / JV / JVB baseball
- Varsity golf
- Varsity / JV / JVB lacrosse
- Varsity tennis
- Varsity volleyball
- Chaminade owns a theater pipe organ having 3 manuals and 15 ranks, in the school's 1,200-seat Darby Auditorium. The organ consists of a Robert Morton console with ranks by Wurlitzer, Robert Morton, Austin, and Barton.
- A renovation of Chaminade's athletic facilities was completed in 2014. This included the replacement of artificial turf on Ott Field and the addition of turf on Thomas Field. A new stadium was constructed adjacent to Ott Field. Gold Star Stadium was dedicated on September 6, 2014, in honor of gold star alumni.
- A new day retreat center, Saragossa, has been constructed. Located next to the AAC on Marcellus Road, the retreat center serves as Chaminade's third retreat house.
- Luke Cummo (Class of 1998), competed on The Ultimate Fighter 2, professional mixed martial artist
- Alfonse D'Amato (Class of 1955), United States Senator from New York, from 1981 to 1999
- Brian Dennehy, Emmy and Tony Award-winning stage, film and television actor
- Louis Gerstner (Class of 1959), former chairman and CEO of IBM and The Carlyle Group
- Al Groh (Class of 1962), football player and former coach of NFL's New York Jets
- Glenn Hughes, singer, The Village People
- Stephen Karopczyc, recipient of Medal of Honor
- George Kennedy (Class of 1943), Academy Award-winning actor
- Jim Kissane, professional basketball player
- John Lannan, former Major League Baseball player for the Washington Nationals, Philadelphia Phillies, and New York Mets
- Gene Larkin, former Major League Baseball player for Minnesota Twins
- Jack Martins, member of the New York Senate from the 7th district from January 1, 2011 until December 31, 2016
- Bob McKillop, head coach of Davidson College basketball team
- Joe Mullaney, basketball player and coach
- Bill O'Reilly (Class of 1967), television host, political commentator, and author
- Ted Robinson, sportscaster
- Christopher Ruddy, CEO of Newsmax Media
- Thomas Spota, former Suffolk County District Attorney
- Thomas Suozzi, U.S. Congressman, member of House of Representatives from New York's 3rd congressional district
- Robert C. Wright, former chairman and CEO of NBC Universal and vice-chairman of General Electric
- "Facts and Figures | Chaminade High School, Mineola, NY". Retrieved 11 February 2018.
- Hu, Winnie (September 28, 2008). "At a Boys' Catholic School, Tradition Fuels Demand". The New York Times.
- MSA-CSS. "MSA-Commission on Secondary Schools". Archived from the original on 2009-09-17. Retrieved 2009-05-27.
- "Chaminade High School".
- "Super 25 Expert Rankings for 2016-17 Boys Soccer Week 13". USA Today. Archived from the original on November 25, 2016. Retrieved May 2, 2017.
- "Chaminade Flyers | Chaminade High School, Mineola, NY". www.chaminade-hs.org. Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- New York Theatre Organ Society Web page Retrieved 2013-05-03.
- Gralla, Joan (September 6, 2014). "Chaminade Gold Star stadium name honors fallen alumni". Newsday. Retrieved 2015-01-10.
- "Taking Shape" (PDF). Chaminade News. October 2014. Retrieved 2015-01-10.
- 894, Greg Wapling, ABN 57 245 248. "Biographies - The Ultimate Fighter". www.gregwapling.com.
- "OFFICIAL BIOGRAPHY United States Senator Alfonse D'Amato". Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- "Brian Dennehy returns to Long Island". Newsday. Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- "About Lou Gerstner '59 | Chaminade High School, Mineola, NY". www.chaminade-hs.org. Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- Eskenazi, Gerald (2000). "PRO FOOTBALL; Teacher and Storyteller, Groh Is Now on Center Stage". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-11-05.
- "Monument honors Medal of Honor recipient". Newsday. Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- "George Kennedy Dies at 91; Versatile Actor Won Oscar for 'Cool Hand Luke'".
- "Jim Kissane NBA & ABA stats". basketball-reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved August 11, 2015.
- "John Lannan Stats | Baseball-Reference.com". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- Eisenberg, Carol (2005-12-02). "Last tango for Chaminade prom". Newsday. Archived from the original on 2007-11-18. Retrieved 2007-12-28.
- "Head coach Bob McKillop provides Davidson's motivation". Daily News. New York. 2008-03-24.
- "Joe Mullaney | Basketball-Reference.com". Basketball-Reference.com. Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- "Biography of Ted Robinson for Appearances, Speaking Engagements". www.allamericanspeakers.com. Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- "Executive Profile | Newsmax Media, Inc. | Christopher W. (Chris) Ruddy". www.boardroominsiders.com. Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- Healy, Patrick D. (2006-02-26). "L.I. Democrat Takes On Spitzer in Governor Race". New York Times. Retrieved 2008-01-25.
- "SUOZZI, Thomas - Biographical Information". bioguide.congress.gov. Retrieved 20 August 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chaminade High School.|