|• Total||3,185.3 km2 (1,229.9 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,678 m (5,505 ft)|
|• Density||10/km2 (27/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Champhai (Pron:/tʃamˈpʰaɪ/) is a border town in Mizoram state, in far eastern India. It is the headquarters of Champhai district, one of the eight districts in the state. It is located on the Indo-Myanmar border and is situated in a strategically important location. Because of this, it is the main business corridor for India and Myanmar in the area.
The area of Champhai is 3,185.83 square kilometres (1,230 sq mi). The average annual rainfall is 1,814 millimetres (71.4 in).
The economy of Champhai is mainly agriculture and border trade. Champhai is also the main trading centre of Mizoram with goods like clothes, silverware and electronics imported from Myanmar through the trading post in Zokhawthar.It has a flatland measuring 113 kilometres long and 48 kilometres in width for wet rice cultivation which can produce 19,200 quintals of rice per year. 10,000 quintals of grape were cultivated in 2011 alone churning 20,000 bottles a year. These are the two main agricultural products.
Champhai has a moderate climate. In winter the temperature varies from 10 °C to 20 °C and in summer, and between 15 °C and 30 °C in winter.
Champhai College is the only higher centre of education in the town.Many government owned and private own school are there.
The Major Media in Champhai are:
- CCN (Digital TV Operator)
- LCN (Digital TV Operator)
A helicopter service by Pawan Hans has been started which connects the Aizawl with Champhai. The distance between Champhai and Aizawl is 194 km and is connected with regular service of bus and sumo.
- K. C. Kabra (2008). Economic Growth of Mizoram: Role of Business & Industry. Concept Publishing Company.
- "TRADE AND COMMERCE". CIC. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- "Miz poised for border trade boom". The Sangai Express. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- "Accredited Journalists". DIPR Mizoram. Retrieved 5 September 2012.
- "MIZORAMA HELICOPTER SERVICE TUR CHIEF MINISTER IN HAWNG". Mizoram DIPR. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "Nilaini atangin 'Helicopter Service". The Zozam Times. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- "Aizawl to Champhai". Mizoram NIC. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Champhai.|