The Chamundeshwari Temple (ಶ್ರೀ ಚಾಮುಂಡೇಶ್ವರಿ ದೇವಸ್ಥಾನ) is located on the top of Chamundi Hills about 13 km from the palace city of Mysore in the state of Karnataka in India. The temple was named after Chamundeshwari or Durga, the fierce form of Shakti, a tutelary deity held in reverence for centuries by Mysore Maharajas.
The Chamundeshwari Temple is considered as a Shakti Peetha and one among the 18 Maha Shakti Peethas. It is known as Krouncha Pitham as the region was known in Puranic times as Krouncha Puri. The origin of Shakti Peethas is associated to the mythology of Daksha yaga and Sati's self immolation.
Shakti Peethas are divine seat of Shakti due to the falling of body parts of the corpse of Sati Devi, when Lord Shiva carried it and wandered in sorrow. There are 51 Shakti Peeth linking to the 51 alphabets in Sanskrit. Each temple have shrines for Shakti and Kalabhairava. The Hair of Sati Devi is said to have fallen here, the Shakti is addressed as Chamundeshwari Devi.
The original shrine is thought to have been built in the 12th century by Hoysala rulers while its tower was probably built by the Vijayanagar rulers of the 17th century. In 1659, a flight of one thousand steps was built leading up to the 3000 foot summit of the hill. At the temple are several images of Nandi (the bull mount of Shiva). There is a huge granite Nandi on the 800th step on the hill in front of a small Shiva temple a short distance away. This Nandi is over 15 feet high, and 24 feet long and around its neck are exquisite bells.
- City Bus Stand
- Hardinge Circle
- Gandhi Vana. Police Parade Ground
- Zoo Gardens
- Race Course. Mall of Mysore
- Administrative Training Instt
- SDM IMD
- Chamundi Hill
- "Chamundi Hills".
- (Translator), F. Max Muller (June 1, 2004). The Upanishads, Vol I. Kessinger Publishing, LLC. ISBN 1419186418.
- (Translator), F. Max Muller (July 26, 2004). The Upanishads Part II: The Sacred Books of the East Part Fifteen. Kessinger Publishing, LLC. ISBN 1417930160.
- "Kottiyoor Devaswam Temple Administration Portal". http://kottiyoordevaswom.com/. Kottiyoor Devaswam. Retrieved 20 July 2013. External link in
- "Chamundeswari HIll Temple (ಚಾಮುಂಡೇಶ್ವರಿ ದೇವಸ್ತಾನ) - Mysore(ಮೈಸೂರು)". Retrieved 2006-09-12.
- "Sri Chamundeswari of Mysore". Archived from the original on 2006-05-27. Retrieved 2006-09-12.
- "Chamundeswari temple". Retrieved 2006-09-12.
- "Nam Chamundi Betta, a website specially dedicated to Chamundi Hill, Mysore".
- "Namma Mysore - Famous Temples: The Chamundeshwari Temple". www.nammamysore.com. Retrieved 2008-07-31.
- Sree Chamundeeswari of Mysore
- Mysore Temple dedicated to Sri Chamundeswari
- Mysore Nature | Chamundi Hill Reserve Forest
- Chamundi hill map
- Official Website : http://chamundeshwaritemple.kar.nic.in
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chamundeswari Temple.|