17 November 1961 |
|Occupation||CEO and MD, ICICI Bank|
Chanda Kochhar (born 17 November 1961) is the managing director (MD) and chief executive officer (CEO) of ICICI Bank. She is widely recognised for her role in shaping retail banking in India.
Kochhar was born in Jodhpur, Rajasthan and raised in Jaipur, Rajasthan. She is an alumnus of St. Angela Sophia School, Jaipur. She then moved to Mumbai, where she joined Jai Hind College for a Bachelor of Arts degree. After graduating in 1982, she studied cost accountancy and later, went on to acquire a master's degree in Management Studies from Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai. She received the Wockhardt Gold Medal for Excellence in Management Studies as well as the J. N. Bose Gold Medal in Cost Accountancy.
In 1984, Kochhar joined the Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India (ICICI) as a management trainee. During her early years at ICICI Ltd., she handled Project Appraisal and Monitoring and was entrusted with the task of appraising projects in various industries like textile, paper and cement.
Kochhar was instrumental in establishing ICICI Bank during the 1990s. In 1993, Kochhar was appointed as one of the core team members who were assigned the responsibility of setting up the bank. She was promoted to assistant general manager in 1994 and then to deputy general manager in 1996. In 1996, Kochhar headed the newly formed Infrastructure Industry Group of ICICI Bank, which aimed to create dedicated industry expertise in the areas of power, telecom and transportation. In 1998, she was promoted as the General Manager and headed ICICI Bank's major client group, which handled relationships with ICICI's top 200 clients. In 1999, she also handled the strategy and e-commerce divisions of ICICI Bank. Under Kochhar's leadership, ICICI Bank started building the nascent retail business in 2000 focusing largely on technology, innovation, process engineering and expansion of distribution and scale.In April 2001, she took over as executive director. In 2006, Kochhar was appointed as deputy managing director of ICICI Bank. In 2006- 07, Kochhar handled the international and corporate businesses of the bank. From 2007 to 2009, she was the bank's chief financial officer (CFO) & joint managing director (JMD). 
2009 to present
In 2009 Kochhar was appointed as Managing Director (MD) & Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the bank and since then has been responsible for the bank’s diverse operations in India and overseas.  She also chairs the boards of most of the bank’s subsidiaries, which include India’s leading private sector life and general insurance companies. In addition to her responsibilities at the ICICI Group, Ms. Kochhar is a member of the India – Japan Business Leaders Forum and the US-India CEO Forum.  She is currently the President of the International Monetary Conference, an organization that annually brings together the chief executives of approximately 70 of the world’s largest financial institutions from 30 countries, along with officials from government institutions.  She is also the Deputy Chairperson of the Indian Banks Association. She is on the boards of Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations, National Institute of Securities Markets and Institute of International Finance. Ms. Kochhar has been a member of the Prime Minister’s Council on Trade & Industry, the Board of Trade and High-Level Committee on Financing Infrastructure. She was also co-chair of the World Economic Forum’s Annual Meeting in 2011. Ms. Kochhar received an honorary Doctor of Laws from Carleton University, Canada in 2014.  The university conferred this award on Ms. Kochhar in recognition of her pioneering work in the financial sector, effective leadership in a time of economic crisis and support for engaged business practices. She was conferred with the Padma Bhushan, one of India's highest civilian honours, in 2011. 
Under Kochhar's leadership, ICICI Bank won the "Best Retail Bank in India" award in 2001, 2003, 2004 and 2005 and "Excellence in Retail Banking Award" in 2002; both awards were given by The Asian Banker. Kochhar personally was awarded "Retail Banker of the Year 2004 (Asia-Pacific region)" by the Asian Banker, "Business Woman of the Year 2005" by The Economic Times and "Rising Star Award" for Global Awards 2006 by Retail Banker International. Kochhar has also consistently figured in Fortune's list of "Most Powerful Women in Business" since 2005. She climbed up the list debuting with the 47th position in 2005, moving up 10 spots to 37 in 2006 and then to 33 in 2007. In the 2008 list, Kochhar features at the 25th spot. In 2009, she debuted at number 20 in the Forbes "World's 100 Most Powerful Women list". She is the second Indian in the list behind the Indian National Congress party chief Sonia Gandhi at number 13. In 2010, she fell to number 92 in the Forbes list, but in 2011 bounced back to 43. As of 2014, she ranks at #43. And in 2015 she climbed up to #35 again.
Kochhar has also consistently figured in Fortune's list of "Most Powerful Women in Business" since 2005. In 2009, she debuted at number 20 in the Forbes "World's 100 Most Powerful Women list", and climbed to the 10th spot in 2010. In 2011, she featured in Business Today's list of the "Most Powerful Women – Hall of Fame". In 2011, she also featured in the "The 50 Most Influential People in Global Finance" List of Bloomberg Markets. Chanda Kochhar was awarded with ASSOCHAM Ladies League Mumbai Women of the Decade Achievers Award on 2 January 2014.
In 2011, Kochhar was awarded the "ABLF Woman of Power Award (India)" at the Asian Business Leadership Forum Awards.
Kochhar was ranked as the most powerful businesswoman in India in Forbes' list of 'The World's 100 Most Powerful Women 2013'. Kochhar was also featured in the Power List 2013 of 25 most powerful women in India by India Today, for the third year in a row.
In October 2014, she was conferred with an honorary Doctor of Laws from Carleton University, Canada, in recognition of her pioneering work in the financial sector, effective leadership in a time of economic crisis and support for engaged business practices.
Kochhar was selected in Time magazine's list of the 100 Most Influential People in the World 2015.
In 2015, Kochhar was ranked first in the Fortune List of 100 Most Powerful Women in Asia Pacific.
- "India's ICICI names Chanda Kochhar CEO from May 09". Uk.reuters.com (2008-12-19). Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- Chanda Kochhar to head ICICI Bank. Business Standard (2008-12-19). Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- . The Economic Times (2015-04-16). Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- Ms. Chanda Kochhar, Joint Managing Director, ICICI Bank Limited. ICICI Bank official site
- Naazneen Karmali (19 August 2009). "The 100 Most Powerful Women". Forbes. Retrieved 2009-08-20.
- ICICI was emerged into its daughter project ICICI Bank in 2002.
- "Chanda Kochhar's Success Story".
- "Chanda Kochhar appointed ICICI Bank CEO from May '09".
- "Chanda Kochhar - India Conference at Harvard".
- "MOST POWERFUL WOMEN: ASIA-PACIFIC".
- "Chanda Kochhar Gets Honorary Degree from Canadian University".
- "Azim Premji, Chanda Kochhar win Padma Award".
- "37. Chanda Kochhar". CNN. Retrieved 28 April 2010.
- "33.Chanda Kochhar". CNN. Retrieved 28 April 2010.
- "International Power 50". CNN. 29 September 2008. Retrieved 28 April 2010.
- "World's 100 Most Powerful Women list". Forbes. 9 September 2010. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- "World's 100 Most Powerful Women list". Forbes. August 2011. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- "The World's 100 Most Powerful Women". Forbes. Forbes. Retrieved 25 June 2014.
- Chanda Kochhar Forbes 100 in 2015
- "The 100 Most Powerful Women". Forbes. 19 August 2009.
- "Indra Nooyi, Chanda Kochhar among most powerful biz women: Fortune". The Times of India. 29 September 2010. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- "The most powerful women in Indian business". Business Today. 2011. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- "The 50 Most Influential People in Global Finance". Bloomberg Markets. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- "Director's Profile: Mrs. Chanda Kochhar, MD & CEO". ICICI Bank.
- "Padma Vibhushan for Montek Ahluwalia, Azim Premji". The Economic Times. 26 January 2011. Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "ABLF Awards 2011 Winners". Asian Business Leadership Forum Awards. Retrieved 1 March 2012.
- "The World's 100 Most Powerful Women 2013'". Forbes. May 2013.
- "Fortune names ICICI's Chanda Kochhar as most-powerful Indian woman in business". India Today. 16 November 2012.
- "Carleton Presents Honorary Degree to Chanda Kochhar, CEO of India’s ICICI Bank". Retrieved 26 May 2015.
- "The 100 Most Influential People". Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- "The 100 Most Influential People". Retrieved 28 Sep 2015.
- "High and Mighty rankings". Retrieved 10 Mar 2016.
- "Forbes Honors 50 Power Businesswomen in Asia". Retrieved 7 Apr 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chanda Kochhar.|