|Launched||15 August 1991|
|Owned by||Prasar Bharti|
|Language||Kannada ( ಕನ್ನಡ)|
|Headquarters||Bengaluru, Karnataka, India|
DD Chandana is a Kannada TV channel owned and operated by Prasar Bharati under Doordarshan, supported by Doordarshan studios in Bengaluru and Kalburgi. Launched in 1994 DD Chandana has entertainment serials, infotainment programmes, news and current affairs, social programmes and film programmes as its major content. In terrestrial mode, DD Chandana is available to 81.7% of the population of Karnataka.
A regional language satellite channel was launched on 15 August 1991, which became 24 hrs channel on 1 January 2000. This came to be later on christened as "Chandana",on April 5, 2000 which true to its name has been the true cultural ambassador of the State. It is the Kannada language satellite channel supported by Doordarshan studios in Bengaluru and Kalaburgi. It has entertainment serials, infotainment programmes, news & current affairs, social programmes and film programmes as its major content. In terrestrial mode, DD Chandana is available to 81.7% of the population of Karnataka. Today Doordarshan Bangalore covers an area of 76.2% and population of 82.4%.
DD Chandana has also telecasted programmes on promotion of fire safety at home work place, industry and at community level. Some of the past programs were: Agni Sanchike weekly T.V. serial programme and Fire Warden Organization, to provide an opportunity to volunteers to join hands with the Fire Services in improving fire safety awareness and quick reaction habits in the community. Chandana channel also telecasted 20 commissioned programs, documentaries and software such as drama, telefilms and serials during the year 2004.
List of programmes
The channel has given the audience a number of memorable programmes of which most popular being
- Dance Samara- Dance reality show
- Varthegalu (meaning: News) - News program
- Chitramanjari (meaning: Picture snow) - Program on Kannada film songs
- Thatt Antha Heli (meaning: Answer in a flash) - Quiz program
- Suththona Namma Nadu (meaning: Lets travel our place) - A program on Karnataka state travel guide
- Kathaa Saritha/Maalike/ (meaning: Story garland) - A showcase of numerous short stories of Kannada literature
- Karnataka Shasthreeya Sangeetha (meaning: Classical music) - Musical program
- Belagu (meaning: Lighten) - Interview program of any renowned Guest
- Chalanchitra (meaning: Movie)
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)
- List of programs broadcast by DD National
- All India Radio
- Ministry of Information and Broadcasting
- DD Direct Plus
- List of South Asian television channels by country