Chandler Municipal Airport
Chandler Municipal Airport
|Owner||City of Chandler|
|Elevation AMSL||1,243 ft / 379 m|
Chandler Municipal Airport (ICAO: KCHD, FAA LID: CHD) is in Maricopa County, Arizona 3 miles (2.6 nmi; 4.8 km) southeast of Chandler, which owns it. The National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2011–2015 categorized it as a general aviation reliever airport.
Chandler Municipal is one of the nation’s 50 busiest general aviation airports. It adds to Arizona’s economy by bringing in more than $53 million annually. No airlines operate out of Chandler and none plan to in the near future.
Most U.S. airports use the same three-letter location identifier for the FAA and IATA, but Chandler Municipal is CHD to the FAA and has no IATA code (IATA had assigned CHD to Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport in Mesa, Arizona - since redesignated by the IATA as AZA).
- 4L/22R measuring 4,401 ft × 75 ft (1,341 m × 23 m)
- 4R/22L measuring 4,870 ft × 75 ft (1,484 m × 23 m)
It has one concrete helipad,
- H1 measuring 100 ft × 100 ft (30 m × 30 m)
The airport has built and improved a heliport facility, airport signage, and aircraft parking space by 10 acres with 90 tie-down spaces. These improvements were made over the last 6 years and cost about $7 million. The privately owned parking spaces are at 100% capacity. Affiliated Property Management is the name of the company/HOA that controls the privately owned hangars.
In the year ending April 25, 2011 the airport had 161,750 aircraft operations, average 443 per day: 98% general aviation, 2% air taxi, and <1% military. 333 aircraft were then based at the airport: 86% single-engine, 9% multi-engine, 3% helicopter, 1% jet, and 1% ultralight.
Operations Data (takeoffs or landings):
- 2004: 233,219
- 2005: 227,150
- 2006: 268,093
- 2007: 260,636
- 2008: 254,267
- 2009: 205,771
- Quantum Helicopters - Flight school and it offers rotorcraft flight training as well as charter flights.
- Chandler Air Service - FBO and FAA approved flight school that offers training for all fixed-wing pilot certificates from private through ATP.
- Wings 270 - Flight school located here that train pilots from private through instrument licenses.
- Chandler Aviation - Offers a variety of maintenance services, parts, and accessories.
- Performance Aviation - Offers all aircraft maintenance services.
- Mesquite Avionics - Troubleshooting, repair, and installing of aircraft avionics
- Aircraft Engine Specialists - Engine overhaul, prop-strike, over-speed, and other engine repair.
- Flite Instruments - Provides aircraft instrument repair and overhaul.
- Baha Bush Pilots - Provide information on private planes flying to and from Mexico and other Latin destinations.
- Desert and Island Air Charter - Offers private airplane charters to over 500 southwest locations in Arizona, California, and Nevada.
- Southwest Aircraft Charter - Charter and management company.
- Aero-Zone, Inc. - Aircraft parts provider, moving to airport location in November 2012.
- Downing Aviation Associates - Consulting and engineering contracting firm for aviation companies.
- Softcom Products - Manufactures headsets and other accessories.
- The Hangar Café - On-site eatery that offers outdoor seating for breakfast and lunch.
- Phoenix Flyers, Inc. - a non-profit, member-owned Flying Club based in Phoenix Arizona founded in 1958 with the goal of providing excellent aircraft at reasonable rates.
- FAA Airport Master Record for CHD ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective May 31, 2012.
- "2011–2015 NPIAS Report, Appendix A" (PDF). National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2010. Archived from the original (PDF, 2.03 MB) on 2012-09-27.
- "Welcome to Chandler". Retrieved March 4, 2011.
- "Chandler-Williams AFB, AZ (IATA: CHD, ICAO: KIWA)". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved July 26, 2012.
- Federal Aviation Administration (Terminal Area Forecast)
- Chandler Municipal Airport at City of Chandler web site
- Chandler Municipal (CHD) at Arizona DOT airport directory
- Aerial image as of April 1997 from USGS The National Map
- Phoenix Flyers Flying Club
- (PDF), effective February 28, 2019
- FAA Terminal Procedures for Chandler Municipal (CHD), effective February 28, 2019
- Resources for this airport: