Chandradhar Sharma Guleri
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Chandradhar Sharma (1883–1922) was a writer and scholar of Hindi, Sanskrit, Prakrit and Pali from Jaipur, India. Described as a versatile genius, he is known as the author of Usne Kaha Tha ( Hindi उसने कहा था ), first published in 1915, which is debated to be the first short story in Hindi. He is also remembered for his efforts to preserve the Jantar Mantar Observatory in Jaipur.
Pandit Guleri graduated from Allahabad University and later headed the Department of Sanskrit at Mayo College, Ajmer. In 1922, he was appointed to the Manindra Chandra Nandi Chair in Ancient History and Religion at Banaras Hindu University.
To read Usne kaha tha (in Hindi and English) go to external links
- Purani Hindi (Essays on Hindi language and literature; with a sampling of early Hindi literature). Publisher: Nagariprachirini Sabha, Kashi 1948.
- Guleri Rachnavali ( Selected works). Edited by Dr. Manoharlal. Publisher: Kitab Ghar. New Delhi 1991 ISBN 81-7016-084-7.
- Guleri Katha Kahani Samagra ( Collection of short stories). Edited by Sudhakar Pandey. Publisher: Nagariprachirini Sabha, Varanasi 1994.
- Pandit Chandradhar Sharma Guleri aur unki kavitayen ( Poems in Hindi and Sanskrit) Edited by Vidyadhar Sharma Guleri. Publisher: Chinmaya Prakashan, Jaipur 1981.
- Guleri patra-sahitya:antahsakshya dvara parichaya ( Insights from the correspondence of Pandit Guleri). Edited by Jhabarmal Sharma. Publisher: Gaurav Gaatha Sangam, Delhi 1988.
- Guleri Sahityalok (Articles on works and sampling of writings; published to mark Pandit Guleri's birth centenary) by Dr. Manoharlal. Publisher: Kitab Ghar, Delhi 1984.
- Prithvirajavijaya (Poem in Sanskrit on Prithviraja III by Jayanaka in 12th century CE and commentary of Jonaraja). Edited by Gaurishankar Hirachand Ojha and Chandradhar Sharma Guleri. First published 1941. Publisher: Rajasthani Granthaghar, Jodhpur 1997.
- Buddhu ka Kanta ( Play based on short story by Pandit Guleri) Adaptation by Ashok Kumar Hans. Publisher: Rishabacharan Jain, New Delhi 1984.
- Buddha-charita (Hindi translation of Edwin Arnold’s The Light of Asia). Translated by Ram Chandra Shukla and Chandradhar Sharma Guleri. Publisher: Nagaripracharini Sabha, Kashi 1938.
- Chandradhar Sharma Guleri, vyaktitva aur krititva ( Articles on the life and works of Pandit Guleri ). Editor Prakash Atura. Publisher: Rajasthan Sahitya Academy, Udaipur 1983.
- Pandit Chandradhar Sharma Guleri ( Contributed articles on the works of Pandit Guleri ). Chief Editor: K R Bharati, Editor: Sudarshan Vashisht. Publisher: Nirmala Publications, Delhi 2000.
- Roy, Ashim Kumar (1978), History of the Jaipur City. Manohar Publications Delhi
- "Usne Kaha Tha 1961". The Hindu. 29 November 2008.
- Srivastava V S Editor (1981), Cultural contours of India p43. Abhinav Publications Delhi ISBN 0-391-02358-6
- News article on 125th birth anniversary celebrations at Himvani.com
Source material (publications)
- Columbia University Library catalogue
- University of Chicago Library catalogue