|Born||22 August 1962|
|Residence||New Delhi, India|
|Alma mater||University of Calcutta|
|Occupation||Director General of the Confederation of Indian Industry|
|Website||Chandrajit Banerjee - CII.in|
Chandrajit Banerjee is the Director General of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII). Mr. Banerjee has been with the CII for over 27 years and has been the Director General of CII since May 2008. He has been based in several cities including the Headquarters. Prior appointed as the Director General of CII, he headed the Economics Department. Besides this, he has also headed the Regions and States Operations of CII. He was responsible of CII’s Corporate Governance work. His responsibilities also include overseeing CII’s organisational functions such as HR, and CII’s work in the Regions and States. He has worked in all the four regions and has been the Regional Director of the Western, Southern and the Northern Region of CII. Mr. Chandrajit Banerjee is a Post Graduate (MS) in Economics with a specialisation in the Economics of Planning and Econometrics.
Chandrajit Banerjee is a Post-Graduate (MA) in Economics with specialisation in Economics of Planning and Econometrics from the University of Calcutta. Earlier, he did his schooling from the Calcutta Boys' School and then his Graduation from St. Xavier's College (Calcutta) in Economics (Hons).
As Director General, he is responsible for overall operations of CII. Prior to his appointment as Director General, he held several senior positions in CII.
Chandrajit Banerjee has been responsible for important areas of work including the Sectoral Verticals - Manufacturing, Services, Agriculture and Life Sciences Sectors and the SMEs. He has led key policy work of CII in the areas of Economic Policy, Financial Services and Corporate Governance. He was also the First Executive Director of the National Foundation of Corporate Governance (NFCG), an organization set up by the Ministry of Company Affairs, Government of India. He continues to be in the Board of Trustees of NFCG as a Founder Trustee.
Over the years Chandrajit Banerjee has worked out of the CII-Headquarters in New Delhi for several years. He has served as Head of CII’s regional operations in the Northern, Southern and Western regions. He was also in Bangalore to initiate the Centre of Excellence of the Indian Machine Tool Manufacturers’ Association (IMTMA), which is a state-of-the-art centre for training, conventions and trade fairs.
Chandrajit Banerjee is in various advisory committees of the Government of India. He is the Vice Chairman of the Asia Pacific Chapter of UFI, The Global Association of the Exhibition Industry. He is the Co-chairman of the Governing Council, Overseas Indian Facilitation Centre (OIFC), a not for profit public private initiative of Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs (MOIA) and CII, established in 2007. He is a Member of the World Economic Forum’s Global Agenda Council on India. Banerjee is also a Member of the Board of Governors of Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Ranchi.
Chandrajit Banerjee has been honored with the China-India Friendship Award by the Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao for his contributions towards the development of bilateral ties between India and China. Mr. Wen said that the exchanges between the two countries have a long history, and that the Chinese people have received precious support from their Indian counterpart in their striving for national liberation. He pointed out that the year 2010 marked the 60th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between China and India. He said China is a nation that values friendship. The Chinese government and people will never forget those who have contributed greatly to the cause of China-India friendship.
- "It will hurt corporate restructuring: Chandrajit Banerjee, CII". economictimes. 28 December 2012.
- "U.S.-India Economic and Financial Partnership" (PDF). Brookings..
- "CII’s Corporate Governance work".
- "CII’s work in the Regions and States".
- "Director-General, Confederation of Indian Industry". world economic forum.
- "A strong show amid varied challenges". thehindu. 22 May 2015.
- "Will the Govt’s Business Responsibility Norms Improve Corporate Governance". indiacsr. 17 June 2012.
- "Partnering for Peace and Prosperity Conference". atlanticcouncil.
- "Mr. Chandrajit Banerjee is a Senior Director of the CII" (PDF). nfcgindia.
- "Structure of the Foundation". Nfcgindia.
- "Mr. Chandrajit Banerjee on Indian Innovations". Innovationcouncilarchive.
- "Articles By Chandrajit Banerjee". ideasforindia.
- "Governing Council Members". oifc.
- "World Economic Forum’s Global Agenda Council on India". world economic forum.
- "Member of the Board of Governors". iimranchi.
- "China-India Friendship Award". news.xinhuanet.
- "60th Anniversary of China-India". fmprc.
- "Chinese premier confers friendship awards to Indian nationals". english.sina.