Chang: A Drama of the Wilderness
|Chang: A Drama of the Wilderness|
|Directed by||Merian C. Cooper|
Ernest B. Schoedsack
|Produced by||Merian C. Cooper|
Ernest B. Schoedsack
|Written by||Achmed Abdullah|
|Music by||Hugo Riesenfeld|
|Cinematography||Ernest B. Schoedsack|
|Edited by||Louis R. Loeffler|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
Chang: A Drama of the Wilderness (1927) (also known simply as Chang) is a silent film about a poor farmer in northern Nan Province (northern Thailand) and his daily struggle for survival in the jungle. The film was directed by Merian C. Cooper and Ernest B. Schoedsack. It was released by Famous Players-Lasky, a division of Paramount Pictures.
Kru, the farmer depicted in the film, battles leopards, tigers, and even a herd of elephants, all of which pose a constant threat to his livelihood. As filmmakers, Cooper and Schoedsack attempted to capture real life with their cameras, though they often re-staged events that had not been captured adequately on film. The danger was real to all the people and animals involved. Tigers, leopards, and bears are slaughtered on camera, while the film's climax shows Kru's house being demolished by a stampeding elephant.
Chang was released for the first time on DVD by Image Entertainment on November 21, 2000. Milestone Video would release the film on VHS and on DVD on January 8, 2002 and October 29, 2013 respectively.
Chang was one of the "biggest movies of 1928".
On Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 100% based on eight reviews, with a weighted average rating of 7.6/10. Author and film critic Leonard Maltin awarded the film three and a half of four stars, calling the film "[a] fascinating ethnographic documentary/narrative". Mordaunt Hall from The New York Times praised the film, calling it "vivid and thrilling".
- Hall, Mordaunt (April 30, 1927). "Chang A Drama of the Wilderness (1927)". The New York Times.
- Biggs, Andrew (July 21, 2019). "What's past is prologue". Bangkok Post. Retrieved July 21, 2019.
- "Chang: A Drama of the Wilderness (1927) - Merian C. Cooper, Ernest B. Schoedsack". Allmovie.com. Retrieved April 9, 2018.
- "Chang: A Drama of the Wilderness Silent VHS". Amazon. Retrieved April 9, 2018.
- "Chang: A Drama of the Wilderness (1927) Tomatoes". Rotten Tomatoes.com. Flixer. Retrieved April 9, 2018.
- Leonard Maltin; Spencer Green; Rob Edelman (January 2010). Leonard Maltin's Classic Movie Guide. Plume. p. 109. ISBN 978-0-452-29577-3.
- Hall, Mordaunt. "THE SCREEN". New York Times. Mordaunt Hall. Retrieved April 9, 2018.
|This article about a silent documentary film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|