Channel 4's Comedy Gala (2011)
|Channel 4's Comedy Gala (2011)|
|Presented by||Dermot O'Leary|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of episodes||1|
|Executive producer(s)||Addison Creswell
Tom Poole (director)
|Location(s)||The O2 Arena, London|
|Running time||150 minutes (inc. adverts)|
|Production company(s)||Off the Kerb
Open Mike Productions
|Original network||Channel 4|
|Original release||10 June 2011|
|Preceded by||Channel 4's Comedy Gala (2010)|
|Followed by||Channel 4's Comedy Gala (2012)|
Channel 4's Comedy Gala of 2011 is a British comedy benefit show organised by Channel 4. It is the second Channel 4 Comedy Gala, an annual charity event held O2 Arena in London in aid of the Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital. It was filmed live on 24 May 2011, then broadcast on Channel 4 on 10 June 2011. The first Comedy Gala was held 30 March 2010 and broadcast on 5 April 2010. Billed by Channel 4 as "the biggest live stand up show in UK history", it featured seventeen comedians performing stand-up, as well as a number of others performing live and pre-recorded sketches. The first gala raised money for a new anaesthetic room, while the second aims to raise money for a new operating theatre.
As with the 2010 gala, the 2011 performance was in aid of the Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital. The 2011 proceeds were to go towards funding a new 24-hour operating theatre, costing £5 million. The new theatre would reduce waiting times at the hospital for the children treated from across the UK with life-saving heart, brain and spinal surgery. As with the 2010 show, the performers were to give their time for free for the gala.
On 10 March 2011, Michael McIntyre and John Bishop visited a cardiac ward of the hospital with the Daily Mirror, who announced a second comedy gala at the O2 in aid of the hospital was to be held on 24 May 2011. To be filmed and broadcast on Channel 4 at a later date, tickets were due to go on sale the next day, at 9am. Channel 4 confirmed this with an announcement on its Comedy Gala website the next day. While tickets went on general sale that day at 9am, a pre-sale begun at 9am the day before.
As with the 2010 gala, the 2011 show was commissioned by the Channel 4 commissioning editor Syeda Irtizaali, the promoter was Off the Kerb Productions and it was to be filmed by Open Mike Productions.
The gig at the O2 was to open at 6.30pm.
When the second gala was announced, the confirmed line-up included the following performers:
- Alan Carr
- Andi Osho
- Chris Moyles
- Dara Ó Briain
- Jack Dee
- Jack Whitehall
- Jo Brand
- John Bishop
- Jon Richardson
- Jonathan Ross
- Kevin Bridges
- Lee Evans
- Mark Watson
- Michael McIntyre
- Micky Flanagan
- Paul Kaye
- Rhod Gilbert
- Rich Hall
- Sarah Millican
- Sean Lock
- Shappi Khorsandi
Promoters Off the Kerb also listed the following acts:
Video Appearances listed by the following:
- "Channel 4's Comedy Gala". Channel 4 Website. Retrieved 7 June 2011.
- "Off the Kerb Productions". www.offthekerb.co.uk/ Home Page. Off the Kerb. n.d. Archived from the original on 11 March 2011. Retrieved 11 March 2011.
- "Michael McIntyre and John Bishop among comedians joining together to fund £5m op theatre at Great Ormond Street". The Daily Mirror. 10 March 2011. Archived from the original on 11 March 2011. Retrieved 11 March 2011.
- "C4 Comedy Gala to return". Chortle. 11 March 2011. Archived from the original on 11 March 2011. Retrieved 11 March 2011.
- "Comedy Gala Returns for 2011!". Channel 4. 11 March 2011. Archived from the original on 11 March 2011. Retrieved 11 March 2011.
- "Channel 4 Comedy Gala". Ticketmaster. n.d. Retrieved 11 March 2011.
- "NEW! – Channel 4 Comedy Gala 2011". The O2. n.d. Archived from the original on 11 March 2011. Retrieved 11 March 2011.
- "Channel 4's Comedy Gala – Channel 4's Comedy Gala 2011". Channel 4 Website. Retrieved 30 December 2012.