Channel Islands Electricity Grid
The Channel Islands Electricity Grid (CIEG) is the joint company set up in 1998 between Guernsey Electricity and Jersey Electricity to operate and manage the submarine cables between Europe and the Channel Islands.
The CIEG is continuing to develop the undersea cable network with additional connections between the islands and France currently being devised. These subsea cables will give both Guernsey and Jersey greater security and better affordability, as they will give the islands the opportunity to increase the amount of imported energy.
Co-operating through the CIEG, means the islands can work together towards improving the reliability of the grid system.
|Normandie 2||2000 - present||Surville, France to Jersey||17 kilometres (11 mi)||90 MW||Operational||Cable contains fibre optic cables|
|GJ1||2000 - present||Jersey to Guernsey||37 kilometres (23 mi)||60 MW||Operational||Cable contains 3 fibre optic cables of 24 fibres each.|
|Normandie 3||2014 - present||Armanville, France to Jersey||32 kilometres (20 mi)||100 MW||Operational|
|Normandie 1||2017 - present||Surville to Jersey||27 kilometres (17 mi)||100 MW||Operational||Work started in 2016. Follows same route as EDF1 at a cost of £40m it became operational in February 2017.|
|GJ2||Jersey to Petit Bot, Guernsey||38 kilometres (24 mi)||100 MW||pending|
|FAB Link||France to Alderney to Britain (FAB Link)||220 kilometres (140 mi)||1,400 MW||Scheduled|
|EDF1||1984 - 2012||France to Jersey||27 kilometres (17 mi)||Removed||Faulty cable lifted in 2016 for recycling|
- "Channel Island grid strengthened". Sustainable Guernsey. 29 May 2013.
- "Normandie 2". 4C Offshore.
- "GJ1". 4C Offshore.
- "New Jersey electricity cable 'will be more secure'". BBC. 30 May 2014.
- "Jersey Electricity signs contract for third power cable". JE.
- "Undersea Cable laying starts on new link to France". GE.
- "GJ2". 4C Offshore.
- "The France-Alderney-Britain ("FAB") project". Transmission Investment.
- "The Channel Island Electricity Grid (CIEG)". Visit Jersey.
- "Faulty undersea cable removed ready for powerful replacement". Guernsey press. 23 April 2016.
- "Direct power cable to France needed – Guernsey Electricity". Guernsey Press. 4 Nov 2015.
- "Prove you can pay £6m. for power cable, T&R tells Sark". Guernsey Press. 27 Mar 2015.