Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Mattie Do|
|Screenplay by||Christopher Larsen|
|Edited by||Christopher Larsen|
Chanthaly (Lao: ຈັນທະລີ) is a 2012 Lao horror film directed by Mattie Do and written by Christopher Larsen. It is the first horror film to be written and directed entirely in Laos and the first Lao feature film directed by a woman. Chanthaly was screened at the 2012 Luang Prabang Film Festival and the 2013 Fantastic Fest. Pop singer Amphaiphun Phimmapunya stars in the leading role as Chanthaly, alongside Douangmany Soliphanh and Soukchinda Duangkhamchan.
Chanthaly is being raised alone by her overprotective father, sequestered in their home in Vientiane. She suspects that her dead mother's ghost is trying to deliver a message to her from the afterlife. After a change in the medication treating her hereditary heart condition causes the hallucinations to cease, Chanthaly must decide whether or not to risk succumbing to her terminal illness to hear her mother's last words.
- Amphaiphun Phimmapunya as Chanthaly
- Douangmany Soliphanh as Father
- Soukchinda Duangkhamchan as Thong
- Khouan Souliyabapha as Bee
- Soulasath Souvanavong as Keovisit
- Mango as Moo
Entering into public domain and "open sourcing"
During a crowd funding campaign for Do's second feature film Dearest Sister, Do and Larsen, who are the sole owner of the copyright, offered to enter the film into the public domain if a US$30,000 goal was reached. After reaching the goal, in addition to releasing the copyright, all raw footage and other production material was made available through the Internet Archive and the torrent site EZTV, thus "open sourcing" the entire project.
Do put forth a "community challenge", inviting fans to re-edit the film using the material.
- "IMDB entry for Chanthaly".
- "Chanthaly". Fantastic Fest. 2013. Retrieved 2014-05-15.
- Marsh, James (2013-09-26). "Fantastic Fest 2013 Review: Chanthaly is A Haunting Portrait of Modern Day Laos". Twitch. Archived from the original on 2014-06-16. Retrieved 2014-05-15.
- Martin, Nick (2013-03-18). "Laotian Horror CHANTHALY First Trailer". Filmofilia. Retrieved 2014-05-15.
- Do, Mattie (May 2014). "dearest sister". Vimeo. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- "Chanthaly". lpfilmfest. Retrieved 2014-05-15.
- "Fantastic Fest 2013 Day Five and Six Recap". Horrorphilia.
- Michele Galgana. "Fantastic Fest 2013: Chantaly (Film Review)". Diabolique Magazine.
- "mattie dos horror film chanthaly". littlelaosontheprairie.org. 2013-03-25. Retrieved 2014-05-15.
- "Lao Horror, Lao Hopes: 10 Questions with Mattie Do". littlelaosontheprairie.org. 2013-01-18. Retrieved 2014-05-15.
- "EZTV Users Help to Fund Horror Movie, and Open Source Another". torrentfreak.com. 2014-06-17. Retrieved 2015-08-15.
- "Footage Collection: Chanthaly". Mattie Do. 2014-06-17. Retrieved 2015-08-15.
- "Community Challenge". Mattie Do. 2014-08-17. Retrieved 2015-08-15.