Chaos Walking (film)
|Directed by||Doug Liman|
|Based on||The Knife of Never Letting Go|
by Patrick Ness
|Edited by||Andrew Mondshein|
Chaos Walking is an upcoming American science fiction film based on Patrick Ness's 2008 novel The Knife of Never Letting Go, the first part of the Chaos Walking trilogy. It is directed by Doug Liman and written by Charlie Kaufman, Jamie Linden, Patrick Ness, Lindsey Beer, Gary Spinelli and John Lee Hancock. The film stars Tom Holland, Daisy Ridley, Mads Mikkelsen, Demián Bichir, Kurt Sutter, Nick Jonas, Cynthia Erivo and David Oyelowo.
It is scheduled to be released on January 22, 2021, by Lionsgate.
In the near future, Todd Hewitt has been brought up to believe that a pathogen has killed all women in a colony world and unleashed Noise, the special ability to hear people's and animals' minds. Later, he comes upon a patch of silence and soon discovers the source of the silence: a mysterious woman named Viola Eade – the first he has ever met. On the run, they learn more about the true history of the New World.
- Tom Holland as Todd Hewitt, a boy living on the distant planet of New World.
- Daisy Ridley as Viola Eade, a woman without Noise who is the key to unlocking secrets for the New World.
- Mads Mikkelsen as David Prentiss, the cruel Mayor of Prentisstown.
- Demián Bichir as Ben Moore, one of Todd's adoptive fathers.
- Kurt Sutter as Cillian Boyd, one of Todd's adoptive fathers.
- Nick Jonas as David "Davy" Prentiss Jr., the Mayor's son and one of the soldiers.
- Cynthia Erivo as Hildy, an important ally to Todd and Viola, and the leader of Farbranch, a peaceful settlement in the New World that is forced to take a stand against Mayor Prentiss and his growing army.
- David Oyelowo as Aaron, a violent priest in the New World who seeks after Todd and Viola.
- Óscar Jaenada as Wilf, an ignored and excluded drifter who becomes instrumental in Todd and Viola's plot against Mayor Prentiss.
- Marc Primeau as Whaler
In October 2011, Lionsgate Entertainment acquired worldwide distribution rights to a film adaptation of Patrick Ness's Chaos Walking trilogy, to be produced by Doug Davison's production company Quadrant Pictures. Jamie Linden was set to write the film. Deadline reported in 2013 that Robert Zemeckis was hired as the director, but left because of scheduling conflicts and went to produce thereafter. On June 10, 2016, Doug Liman was in talks to direct the film. On August 4, 2016, it was reported that Daisy Ridley joined the cast. She was a fan of the books, and was announced to be playing Viola. On November 28, 2016, Tom Holland joined the cast to play Todd.
On July 20, 2017, it was announced that Mads Mikkelsen joined the cast for the film as the villainous mayor. In August 2017, Demian Bichir, Kurt Sutter, Nick Jonas and David Oyelowo joined the cast. In September 2017, Cynthia Erivo joined the cast. In October 2017, Óscar Jaenada joined the cast. Principal photography on the film began in Montreal, Quebec on August 7, 2017. The film was also shot in Scotland and Iceland. Principal production wrapped in November 2017.
In April 2018, it was reported that the film was scheduled to have several weeks of reshoots in late 2018 or early 2019, following poor test screenings. Due to Ridley's commitment to the Star Wars sequel trilogy and Holland's to Spider-Man: Far From Home, the reshoots were not able to commence until April 2019, with Fede Álvarez directing them. These reshoots, which lasted through May, added an additional $15 million to the film's budget.
The film is scheduled to be released in the United States on January 22, 2021. It was originally scheduled to be released on March 1, 2019, but it was delayed to accommodate the film's reshoots.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (February 7, 2020). "'Chaos Walking' Eyes January 2021 Release". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 7, 2020.
- Kit, Borys (November 28, 2016). "Tom Holland in Talks to Join Daisy Ridley in 'Chaos Walking' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 1, 2016.
- Kroll, Justin (August 4, 2016). "Daisy Ridley to Star in Adaptation of YA Novel 'Chaos Walking'". Variety. Retrieved August 7, 2016.
- N'Duka, Amanda (July 20, 2017). "Mads Mikkelsen Circling Villain Role In Doug Liman's 'Chaos Walking'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 24, 2017.
- N'Duka, Amanda (August 3, 2017). "Demian Bichir Joins Lionsgate's 'Chaos Walking'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 14, 2017.
- Busch, Anita (August 9, 2017). "Kurt Sutter Joins 'Chaos Walking' Cast". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 14, 2017.
- Ford, Rebecca (August 10, 2017). "Nick Jonas Joins Tom Holland in 'Chaos Walking' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 16, 2017.
- Galuppo, Mia (October 3, 2017). "Cynthia Erivo Joins Daisy Ridley in 'Chaos Walking' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved September 7, 2017.
- Busch, Anita (August 23, 2017). "David Oyelowo Steps Into 'Chaos Walking' For Lionsgate, Director Doug Liman". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 23, 2017.
- Galuppo, Mia (October 3, 2017). "Oscar Jaenada Joins Doug Liman's 'Chaos Walking' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved October 4, 2017.
- Molloy, Tim (October 3, 2011). "Next 'Twilight'? Lionsgate Nabs Movie Rights to 'Chaos Walking' Young Adult Trilogy". Reuters. Retrieved December 30, 2011.
- McNary, Dave (August 20, 2014). "Jamie Linden to Write Lionsgate's 'Chaos Walking'". Variety. Retrieved June 11, 2016.
- Siegel, Tatiana (June 10, 2016). "Doug Liman in Talks to Direct Post-Apocalyptic YA Thriller 'Chaos Walking' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 11, 2016.
- Evry, Max (August 15, 2017). "CS Interview: Doug Liman Talks The Wall & Chaos Walking". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved August 16, 2017.
- Marc, Christopher (July 30, 2017). "CONFIRMED: Doug Liman's 'Chaos Walking' Begins Shooting This August In Montreal". Omega Underground. Archived from the original on August 14, 2017. Retrieved August 14, 2017.
- Marc, Christopher (May 11, 2017). "'Chaos Walking' Starring Daisy Ridley and Tom Holland Shoots This August In Scotland and Iceland". OME Gaunderground. Archived from the original on August 16, 2017. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- Kit, Borys (April 4, 2018). "'Chaos Walking': Tom Holland and Daisy Ridley Sci-Fi Movie to Get Major Reshoots (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 16, 2018.
- Liman, Doug (April 4, 2019). "Doug Liman (@dougliman) • Instagram photos and videos". Instagram. Retrieved April 5, 2019.
- Joe Flint and Ben Fritz (April 21, 2019). "Management Tension, Mounting Competition Sink Lions Gate's Stock". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved April 23, 2019.CS1 maint: uses authors parameter (link)
- Freeman, Molly. "Chaos Walking Movie: Cast, Trailer, Release Date & More". Screenrant. Screenrant. Retrieved February 2, 2019.