Chaos Walking (film)
|Directed by||Doug Liman|
|Based on||The Knife of Never Letting Go|
by Patrick Ness
|Edited by||Andrew Mondshein|
Chaos Walking is an upcoming American science fiction film, based on Patrick Ness's novel, The Knife of Never Letting Go, the first part of the Chaos Walking trilogy. It is directed by Doug Liman, produced by Robert Zemeckis, Allison Shearmur, Doug Davison, Jack Rapke and Erwin Stoff, from a screenplay written by Charlie Kaufman, Jamie Linden, Ness, Lindsey Beer, Gary Spinelli and John Lee Hancock. It stars Tom Holland, Daisy Ridley and Mads Mikkelsen. The film will be released on March 1, 2019.
In the near future, Todd Hewitt has been brought up to believe that a viral germ has killed all women in a colony world and unleashed Noise, the special ability to read people's and animals' minds. Later, he comes upon a patch of silence and soon discovers the source of the silence: a mysterious woman named Viola Eade. On the run, they learn more about the true history of the New World.
- Tom Holland as Todd Hewitt, a boy living on the distant planet of New World.
- Daisy Ridley as Viola Eade, a woman without Noise who is the key to unlocking secrets for the New World.
- Mads Mikkelsen as David Prentiss, the cruel Mayor of Prentisstown and Hewitt's mentor.
- Demián Bichir as Ben Moore, one of Todd's adoptive fathers.
- Kurt Sutter as Cillian Boyd, one of Todd's adoptive fathers.
- Nick Jonas as David "Davy" Prentiss Jr., the Mayor's son and one of the soldiers.
- David Oyelowo as Aaron, a violent priest in the New World who seeks after Todd and Viola.
- Cynthia Erivo as Hildy, an important ally to Todd and Viola, and the leader of Farbranch, a peaceful settlement in the New World that is forced to take a stand against Mayor Prentiss and his growing army.
- Óscar Jaenada as Wilf, an untrustworthy drifter who becomes instrumental in Todd and Viola's plot against Mayor Prentiss.
In October 2011, Lionsgate Entertainment acquired worldwide distribution rights to a film adaptation of Patrick Ness's Chaos Walking trilogy, to be produced by Doug Davison's production company Quadrant Pictures. Jamie Linden was set to write the film. Deadline reported in 2013 that Robert Zemeckis was hired as the director, though due to scheduling conflicts he ultimately decided to produce instead, along with his partners through his banner ImageMovers Productions. On June 10, 2016, Doug Liman was in talks to direct the film. On August 4, 2016, it was reported that Daisy Ridley joined the cast. She was a fan of the books, and was announced to be playing Viola. On November 28, 2016, Tom Holland joined the cast to play Todd.
On July 20, 2017, it was announced that Mads Mikkelsen joined the cast for the film as the villainous mayor. In August 2017, Demian Bichir, Kurt Sutter, Nick Jonas and David Oyelowo joined the cast. In September 2017, Cynthia Erivo joined the cast. In October 2017, Oscar Jaenada joined the cast. Principal photography on the film began in Montreal, Quebec on August 7, 2017. The film was also shot in Scotland and Iceland. Principal production wrapped in November 2017.
In April 2018, The Hollywood Reporter reported that the film is scheduled to have several weeks of reshoots in late 2018 or early 2019, with Lionsgate aiming for a budget of $90–100 million for the film.
- Kit, Borys (April 4, 2018). "'Chaos Walking': Tom Holland and Daisy Ridley Sci-Fi Movie to Get Major Reshoots (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 16, 2018.
- Kit, Borys (November 28, 2016). "Tom Holland in Talks to Join Daisy Ridley in 'Chaos Walking' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 1, 2016.
- Kroll, Justin (August 4, 2016). "Daisy Ridley to Star in Adaptation of YA Novel 'Chaos Walking'". Variety. Retrieved August 7, 2016.
- N'Duka, Amanda (July 20, 2017). "Mads Mikkelsen Circling Villain Role In Doug Liman's 'Chaos Walking'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 24, 2017.
- N'Duka, Amanda (August 3, 2017). "Demian Bichir Joins Lionsgate's 'Chaos Walking'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 14, 2017.
- Busch, Anita (August 9, 2017). "Kurt Sutter Joins 'Chaos Walking' Cast". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 14, 2017.
- Ford, Rebecca (August 10, 2017). "Nick Jonas Joins Tom Holland in 'Chaos Walking' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 16, 2017.
- Busch, Anita (August 23, 2017). "David Oyelowo Steps Into 'Chaos Walking' For Lionsgate, Director Doug Liman". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 23, 2017.
- Galuppo, Mia (October 3, 2017). "Cynthia Erivo Joins Daisy Ridley in 'Chaos Walking' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved September 7, 2017.
- Galuppo, Mia (October 3, 2017). "Oscar Jaenada Joins Doug Liman's 'Chaos Walking' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved October 4, 2017.
- Molloy, Tim (October 3, 2011). "Next 'Twilight'? Lionsgate Nabs Movie Rights to 'Chaos Walking' Young Adult Trilogy". Reuters. Retrieved December 30, 2011.
- McNary, Dave (August 20, 2014). "Jamie Linden to Write Lionsgate's 'Chaos Walking'". Variety. Retrieved June 11, 2016.
- Siegel, Tatiana (June 10, 2016). "Doug Liman in Talks to Direct Post-Apocalyptic YA Thriller 'Chaos Walking' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 11, 2016.
- Evry, Max (August 15, 2017). "CS Interview: Doug Liman Talks The Wall & Chaos Walking". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved August 16, 2017.
- Marc, Christopher (July 30, 2017). "CONFIRMED: Doug Liman's 'Chaos Walking' Begins Shooting This August In Montreal". Omega Underground. Retrieved August 14, 2017.
- Marc, Christopher (May 11, 2017). "'Chaos Walking' Starring Daisy Ridley and Tom Holland Shoots This August In Scotland and Iceland". OME Gaunderground. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- McClintock, Pamela (July 11, 2017). "Tom Holland, Daisy Ridley's 'Chaos Walking' Lands Spring 2019 Release Date". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 16, 2017.