Chapter 6: The Prisoner
|"Chapter 6: The Prisoner"|
|The Mandalorian episode|
|Episode no.||Season 1|
|Directed by||Rick Famuyiwa|
|Story by||Christopher Yost|
|Featured music||Ludwig Göransson|
|Cinematography by||Baz Idoine|
|Editing by||Jeff Seibenick|
|Original release date||December 13, 2019|
|Running time||41 minutes|
"Chapter 6: The Prisoner" is the sixth episode of the first season of the American webseries The Mandalorian, based on characters by George Lucas. It premiered on Disney+ on December 13, 2019 in the United States, Canada, and the Netherlands. The series follows the titular Mandalorian (Pedro Pascal), a lone bounty hunter collecting bounties from the highest bidders. The episode was directed by Rick Famuyiwa and written by Rick Famuyiwa and Christopher Yost.
The Mandalorian reaches out to his old friend Ran, who has assembled a crew consisting of ex-Imperial sharpshooter Mayfeld, the Devaronian strongman Burg, the droid pilot Zero, and the knife-wielding Twi'lek woman Xi'an, to rescue Xi'an's brother Qin, a prisoner of the New Republic. Upon arrival on the prison ship, they fight through security droids and make it to the control room where a New Republic soldier triggers a beacon alerting the New Republic. The crew rescues Qin, but double-crosses the Mandalorian. He escapes, isolates and defeats each crew member, then captures Qin. The Mandalorian delivers Qin to Ran and departs with the money. Ran attempts to send a gunship after the Mandalorian to kill him, but the New Republic beacon had been placed on Qin, leading a trio of X-wings to Ran's station. The X-wings open fire on the hangar. The last scene shows Mayfeld, Burg, and Xi'an nursing their wounds in a cell on the prison transport, having been spared.
|Chapter 6: The Prisoner|
|3.||"Greatest Warriors in the Galaxy"||1:29|
|4.||"Let's Just Do It"||1:22|
|9.||"Mando on the Move"||1:13|
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (December 2019)
On Rotten Tomatoes, the episode holds an approval rating of 81% with an average rating of 7.62/10, based on 27 reviews. The website's critics consensus reads, "'The Prisoner' opts for more world-of-the-week action, providing many fun moments but little forward momentum."
In a positive review, Alan Sepinwall, of the Rolling Stone, felt that "like most of the series to this point, 'The Prisoner' isn't so much deep as it is fun. And that continues to work well enough."
In a negative review, Tyler Hersko, of IndieWire, stated that "the last three episodes of The Mandalorian have been entirely interchangeable, and there's been zero plot developments to speak of since the titular protagonist escaped the Bounty Hunter's Guild with Baby Yoda in tow in Episode 3."
- Tyler, Jacob (October 18, 2019). "Star Wars: The Mandalorian: Season 1 Writers Comprise of Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, Rick Famuyiwa, & Chris Yost". Geeks WorldWide. Retrieved December 13, 2019.
- Romano, Evan (December 13, 2019). "How Star Wars Hater Bill Burr Got Cast In The Mandalorian". Men's Health. Hearst Communications. Retrieved December 29, 2019.
- "The Mandalorian: Chapter 6 (Original Score)". Apple Music. Apple Inc. December 13, 2019. Retrieved December 13, 2019.
- "The Mandalorian: Season 1 Episode 6". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved December 19, 2019.
- Sepinwall, Alan (December 13, 2019). "'The Mandalorian' Recap: The Gang's All Here". Rolling Stone. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved December 19, 2019.
- Hersko, Tyler (December 13, 2019). "'The Mandalorian' Review: The Series' One Plot Idea Wears Out Its Welcome in Episode 6". IndieWire. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved December 19, 2019.