|Died||27 July 2016 (aged 83)|
|Alma mater||National Technical University of Athens|
|Practice||Restoration Architect, Historian and Professor|
|Projects||Acropolis Restoration Service|
Charalambos Bouras (Greek: Χαράλαμπος Μπούρας, 17 July 1933 - 27 July 2016) was a major Greek restoration architect, engineer and professor of architectural history. Amongst his most notable contributions are his restoration work on the Acropolis of Athens, Brauron and the monastery of Hosios Loukas as well as the collection of his books and scientific articles.
Bouras received a diploma in Architectural Engineering from the National Technical University of Athens in Greece at 1952. In the following years he joined the Greek Archaeological Service as a member of the Directorate of Restoration of Ancient and Historic Monuments. In this role, he undertook the study and restoration of the fifth-century B.C.E. stoa at the Sanctuary of Artemis at Brauron (1961–1962). He then continued his studies at the Université de Paris (École Pratique des Hautes Études) under the supervision of André Grabar, receiving a doctorate at 1964. Meanwhile, he received another doctorate from the Polytechnic School of Thessaloniki (1966). He then became one of the founding members and President of the Acropolis Restoration Service, coauthored the first volume on the Europa Nostra's restoration of the Parthenon and issued his book on the Nea Moni of Chios.
He was married to fellow architect and Byzantinist Laskarina Philippidou (Boura), who died early. At a second marriage, he married archaeologist Kornilia Hadjiaslani, with whom he acquired a son, Nikias.
External view of the Theotokos church, Hosios Loukas
Section and plan of the katholikon of Hosios Loukas
The Π-shaped stoa at Brauron
Section of the katholikon of the Nea Moni of Chios
Recognition and awards
Charalambos Bouras was awarded the following order:
- Commander of the Order of the Phoenix
- Silver medal of the Académie d'architecture, Paris (1995)
- Europa Nostra's "Dedicated Service" award for the European cultural heritage by the ESMA (2013)
- Europa Nostra's "Conservation" category award, for the Acropolis Propylaea maintenance projects.
- Award from the Academy of Athens for his book on the Nea Moni of Chios
- Award from the Academy of Athens for his book on Byzantine Athens
- Medal of Paul the Apostle of the Church of Greece
- "ACROPOLIS RESTORATION SERVICE". www.ysma.gr. Retrieved 2018-10-01.
- "Μπούρας, Χαράλαμπος Θ., 1933-2016". www.biblionet.gr. Retrieved 2018-10-01.
- "Χαράλαμπος Μπούρας, ένας άξιος Ελληνας που τίμησε την πατρίδα του". www.kathimerini.gr (in Greek). I Kathimerini. Retrieved 2018-10-01.
- "ΥΠΗΡΕΣΙΑ ΣΥΝΤΗΡΗΣΗΣ ΜΝΗΜΕΙΩΝ ΑΚΡΟΠΟΛΗΣ". www.ysma.gr. Retrieved 2018-10-01.
- "Χαράλαμπος Μπούρας, ο σοφός που κατανόησε τα ελληνικά μνημεία, Του Νίκου Βατόπουλου". www.kathimerini.gr (in Greek). I Kathimerini. Retrieved 2018-10-01.