|C. e. etesipe from Cameroon - dorsal view|
|C. e. etesipe from Cameroon - ventral view|
The wingspan is 35–38 millimetres (1.4–1.5 in) for male. The females are larger, reaching 37–45 millimetres (1.5–1.8 in).
The uppersides of the forewings are blackish blue with a greenish tint. The outer margin are generally denticulate (tooth like), with a series of white discal spots. In the hindwings of both sexes there are short tails and a complete series of large pale blue patches. The undersides of the wings are variegated with cream and drab colours.
Adults are on wing from August to October and from March to June. There are two generations per year.
The larvae of subspecies tavetensis feed on Afzelia quanzensis, Dalbergia nitidula, Securidaca longipeduncularis and Margaritaria discoidea. Other subspecies have been recorded on Entada and Afzelia quanzensis.
Charaxes etesipe is a member of the species group Charaxes etesipe
The clade members are:
- C. e. etesipe (Sierra Leone, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Benin, Togo, Ghana, Nigeria, southern Chad, Cameroon, southern Sudan, northern Angola, Uganda, northern Kenya)
- C. e. abyssinicus Rothschild & Jordan, 1900 (Ethiopia (west of Rift)
- C. e. gordoni van Someren, 1935 (Kenya (north-eastern side of Mount Kenya))
- C. e. hercules Turlin & Lequeux, 2002 (Uganda)
- C. e. patrizii Storace, 1949 (Somalia)
- C. e. pemba van Someren, 1966 (Pemba Island)
- C. e. shaba Berger, 1981 (Zaire (Shaba))
- C. e. tavetensis Rothschild, 1894 (Malawi, Mozambique, coast of Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa) perhaps a species
- Victor Gurney Logan Van Someren (1966). Revisional notes on African Charaxes (Lepidoptera: Nymphalidae). Part III. Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History) (Entomology) 45-101.
- Pteron World
- Charaxes etesipe images subspecies and forma at Consortium for the Barcode of Life.
- Charaxes tavetensis images at BOLD
- Charaxes tavetensis tavetensis images at BOLD (verso)
- Charaxes tavetensis pemba images at BOLD
- Images of C. etesipe etesipe Royal Museum for Central Africa (Albertine Rift Project)
- Images of C. etesipe gordoni (Albertine Rift Project)
- Images of C. etesipe shaba (Albertine Rift Project)
- Images of C. etesipe tavetensis (Albertine Rift Project)
|Wikispecies has information related to Charaxes etesipe|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Charaxes etesipe.|
|This article related to members of the butterfly sub-family Charaxinae is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|