|Charaxes viola picta male from the CAR|
Charaxes viola, the savanna demon charaxes, is a butterfly in the family Nymphalidae. It is found in Senegal, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea, Burkina Faso, Sierra Leone, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Togo, Nigeria, Chad, Cameroon, the Republic of the Congo, the Central African Republic, Chad, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Sudan, Uganda and Kenya. The habitat consists of dry savanna and dry forests.
Adults are attracted to fallen mangoes.
Female. Upperside — front wings brown; outer margin reddish; a broad ferruginous band near the hind margin, interrupted above by a brown patch and by the nervures. Hindwings, basal half brown, apical half white tinted with blue green; outer margin brown, with orange upper edging, green below the outer tail; a submarginal row of violaceous lunules; two black spots at the anal angle. Underside only differs from C. ethalion in the brighter red of the submarginal lunules, in the central white band being only indicated by a paler shade of brown, and the less distinct black markings.
Charaxes viola is a member of the large species group Charaxes etheocles.
- Charaxes viola viola (Senegal, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea, Burkina Faso, Sierra Leone, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Togo, western and northern Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad)
- Charaxes viola picta van Someren & Jackson, 1952 (eastern Nigeria, mountains of Cameroon, Congo, Central African Republic, north-eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo, southern Sudan, northern Uganda, north-western Kenya)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Charaxes viola.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Charaxes viola|
- "Charaxes Ochsenheimer, 1816" at Markku Savela's Lepidoptera and Some Other Life Forms
- Afrotropical Butterflies: File H - Charaxinae - Tribe Charaxini
- Butler, A.G. (1866a): Monograph of the species of Charaxes, a genus of diurnal Lepidoptera. Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London 1865:622-639.
- Victor Gurney Logan Van Someren, 1969 Revisional notes on African Charaxes (Lepidoptera: Nymphalidae). Part V. Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History) (Entomology) 75-166.
- Charaxes viola diversiforma viridicaerulea Royal Museum for Central Africa
- Images of C. viola picta Royal Museum for Central Africa (Albertine Rift Project)
- Images of C. viola diversiforma Albertine Rift Project)
- Images of Charaxes viola at Bold
- Bold images of Charaxes viola diversiforma
- Bold images of Charaxes viola picta
- Bold images Charaxes viola viola
|This article related to members of the butterfly sub-family Charaxinae is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|