|චරිත හේරත් |
|Member of Parliament|
for National List
|Assumed office |
|Professor of Philosophy at |
University of Peradeniya
|Former Permanent secretary to the Ministry of Mass Media and Information|
|Former Chairman of the Central Environment Authority|
|Former Consultant to the Ministry of Mass Media and Information|
|Former Senior Lecturer in the Department of Philosophy and Psychology at the University of Peradeniya|
|Born||9 September 1967|
|Political party||Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna|
|Sri Lanka Freedom Party|
|Alma mater||University of Peradeniya|
University of Kelaniya
Herath Mudiyanselage Charitha Herath (born 9 September 1967) is current member of Parliament from National List, Chairman of the Committee on Public Enterprises (COPE). and the Professor of Philosophy at the University of Peradeniya. His appointment was valid from 21 June 2019. Chair Professorship of Philosophy at Peradeniya has been one of the well established academic position. He is the former Permanent secretary of the Ministry of Mass Media and Information in Sri Lanka and former Chairman of the Central Environment Authority. Herath's academic interests are mainly based on Contemporary Analytical Philosophy and his researches were on Later Wittgenstein's Philosophy and the Environmental Ethics. He was the Head of the Department of Philosophy at the University of Peradeniya from 2016 to 2018.
Charitha Herath was heading some of the important public institutions in the country. He was appointed as the permanent secretary to the Ministry of Media, Information and Digital Infrastructures in two occasions, (2012-2015) and (2017). Prior to that position, He was appointed to the Central Environmental Authority, which is the principal environmental regulatory agency, as the Chairman (2010-2013).
Herath holds a bachelor's degree in Philosophy with a minor in Psychology from the University of Peradeniya and a Post Graduate Degree in Social and Political Psychology from Ohio University, Athens, Ohio in USA. In 1998 he completed a Master's Diploma at the Sichuan Union University, Chengdu in China. He has completed his Doctoral Degree on Environmental Philosophy in the University of Kelaniya. The topic of his Doctoral thesis was A Philosophical Analysis on the Concept of Conservation in the field of Environmental Ethics- The Case of Environmental Impact Assessments in Sri Lanka. Herath was appointed as the Chairman of the Central Environment Authority in May 2010 and served as till 12 July 2012. He served as the Permanent Secretary to the Ministry of Mass Media and Information 2013 to 2015 and 2018.
- Charitha Herath as COPE Chairman. Daily Mirror (Sri Lanka), Retrieved on 22 September 2020.
- This mandate shall be respected and revered - Professor Charitha Herath MP. Daily News (Sri Lanka), Retrieved on 20 August 2020.
- Policies and laws are key in any developing nation - Prof. Charitha Herath. Sunday Observer (Sri Lanka), Retrieved on 1 March 2020.
- Yahapalanaya is an undefinable concept thrown in for election purpose. Daily Mirror (Sri Lanka), Retrieved on 26 March 2018.
- "18 New Ministry Secretaries – Dr. Charitha Herath,Secretary, Media Ministry". Department of Government Information. Archived from the original on 16 July 2012. Retrieved 13 July 2012.
- "Charitha Herath, new Media Secretary". Sunday Observer (Sri Lanka). Archived from the original on 15 July 2012. Retrieved 15 July 2012.
- "ex-CEA Chief Charitha Herath receives special award". Daily FT (Sri Lanka). Retrieved 5 December 2012.
- Department of Philosophy University of Peradeniya.
- "SEC, BOI and CEA get new heads". The Island-Business. Archived from the original on 7 May 2020. Retrieved 14 May 2015.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 18 May 2015. Retrieved 15 May 2015.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Media Secretary Charitha Herath Deletes His Tweets". colombotelegraph.com. Retrieved 15 May 2015.
- "Eye". Nation.lk. Retrieved 14 May 2015.
- Dr. Charitha Herath assumes duties as Secretary to Ministry of Mass Media.News 1st (Sri Lanka), Retrieved on 8 November 2018.
- Nuthana Kumaraya by Charitha Herath.Publisher: Visidunu Prakashakayo (Sri Lanka) - ISBN 9789550955770
- Vibhawa Thanha by Charitha Herath.Publisher: Sarasavi Publishers (Sri Lanka) - ISBN 955311704X & ISBN 9789553117045