Charlaine Harris Schulz
November 25, 1951
Tunica, Mississippi, United States
|Pen name||Charlaine Harris|
|Genre||Mystery fiction/Southern Gothic|
|Notable works||The Southern Vampire Mysteries/True Blood|
|Children||Patrick, Timothy, and Julia Harris|
|Relatives||Robert Harris (father)|
Jean Harris (mother)
Ashley Robert Harris III (brother)
Charlaine Harris Schulz (born November 25, 1951) is an American New York Times bestselling author who has been writing mysteries for over thirty years. She was born and raised in the Mississippi River Delta area of the United States. She now lives in Texas with her husband and enjoys visits from her three grown children and her grandchildren. Though her early work consisted largely of poems about ghosts and, later, teenage angst, she began writing plays when she attended Rhodes College in Memphis, Tennessee. She began to write books a few years later. Her later books have been in the urban fantasy genre. She is best known for The Southern Vampire Mysteries series, which HBO later adapted for its dramatic series entitled True Blood.
- 1 Life and career
- 2 Bibliography
- 2.1 Aurora Teagarden Series (1990 - Present)
- 2.2 Lily Bard (Shakespeare) Series (1996 - 2001)
- 2.3 Sookie Stackhouse Series (2001 - 2014)
- 2.4 Harper Connelly Series (2005 - 2009)
- 2.5 Cemetery Girl Series (with Christopher Golden)
- 2.6 Midnight, Texas Trilogy (2014 - 2016)
- 2.7 Gunnie Rose Series
- 2.8 Stand Alones
- 2.9 Anthologies and Collections
- 2.10 As Editor
- 3 TV Adaptations
- 4 See also
- 5 Notes
- 6 External links
Life and career
Harris was born in Tunica, Mississippi. After publishing two stand-alone mysteries, Harris began the lighthearted Aurora Teagarden books with Real Murders, a Best Novel 1990 nomination for the Agatha Awards. Harris wrote several books in the series before the mid-1990s when she began branching out into other works. She did not resume the series until 1999, with the exception of one short story in a Murder, She Wrote anthology titled "Murder, They Wrote".
In 1996, she released the first in the Shakespeare series featuring cleaning lady detective Lily Bard, set in rural Arkansas. Harris "lives in small-town Arkansas", according to a New York Times interview. The fifth book in the series, Shakespeare's Counselor, was printed in fall 2001, followed by the short story "Dead Giveaway" published in the Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine in December of the same year. Harris has stated on her website that she has finished with the series.
After Shakespeare, Harris created The Southern Vampire Mysteries series about a telepathic waitress named Sookie Stackhouse who works in a Northern Louisiana bar. The first book in the series, Dead Until Dark, won the Anthony Award for Best Paperback Mystery in 2001. Each book follows Sookie as she tries to solve mysteries involving vampires, werewolves, and other supernatural creatures. The series has been released in Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Spain, Greece, Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Italy, Argentina, Poland, Serbia, Brazil, Great Britain, Ireland, Mexico, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Lithuania, Hungary, Bulgaria, Portugal, Iceland, Czech Republic, Romania, Estonia and Israel. Harris wrote thirteen novels in the series. The thirteenth and final novel in the series, Dead Ever After, was published in May 2013, with a supplemental book, After Dead, released in October 2013.
Sookie Stackhouse had proven to be so popular that Alan Ball, creator of the HBO television series Six Feet Under, undertook the production of a series based upon The Southern Vampire Mysteries. He wrote and directed the pilot episode for the series, True Blood, which premiered on September 7, 2008 on HBO. The television show was a critical and financial success for HBO running 7 seasons through the 2014 year.
October 2005 marked the debut of Harris's new series entitled The Harper Connelly Mysteries, with the release of Grave Sight. The series is told by a young woman named Harper Connelly, who after being struck by lightning, is able to locate dead bodies and to see their last moments through the eyes of the deceased. In October 2010, it was announced Harper Connelly's series had been optioned for a television series named Grave Sight.
Professionally, Harris is a member of the Mystery Writers of America and the American Crime Writers League. She is a member of the board of Sisters in Crime, and alternates with Joan Hess as president of the Arkansas Mystery Writers Alliance.
In her personal life, Harris has been married for many years. She has three children and two grandchildren. She is a former weightlifter and karate student, she is also an avid reader and cinemaphile. Harris formerly resided in Magnolia, Arkansas, where she was the senior warden of St. James Episcopal Church, and currently lives in Texas.
Aurora Teagarden Series (1990 - Present)
- 1 Real Murders (1990) ISBN 0-8027-5769-3.
- 2 A Bone to Pick (1992) ISBN 0-8027-1245-2
- 3 Three Bedrooms, One Corpse (1994) ISBN 0-684-19643-3
- 4 The Julius House (1995) ISBN 0-684-19640-9
- 5 Dead Over Heels (1996) ISBN 0-684-80429-8
- 5.1 Deeply Dead in Murder, They Wrote
- 6 A Fool And His Honey (1999) ISBN 0-312-20306-3
- 7 Last Scene Alive (2002) ISBN 0-312-26246-9
- 8 Poppy Done to Death (2003) ISBN 0-312-27764-4
- 9 All the Little Liars (2016) ISBN 1250090032
- 10 Sleep Like a Baby (2017) ISBN 978-1-250-09006-5
Lily Bard (Shakespeare) Series (1996 - 2001)
- 1 Shakespeare's Landlord (1996) ISBN 0-312-14415-6
- 2 Shakespeare's Champion (1997) ISBN 0-312-17005-X
- 3 Shakespeare's Christmas (1998) ISBN 0-312-19330-0
- 4 Shakespeare's Trollop (2000) ISBN 0-312-26228-0
- 5 Shakespeare's Counselor (2001) 0-312-27762-8
- 5.1 Dead Giveaway published in Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine (December 2001)
- Shakespeare's Landlord - an interactive game (January 2018)
Sookie Stackhouse Series (2001 - 2014)
For more detailed information see The Southern Vampire Mysteries/True Blood.
|#||Title||Also In||Publication Date||ISBN||Comments|
|1||Dead Until Dark||May 2001||ISBN 0-441-00853-4|
|2||Living Dead in Dallas||Mar 2002||ISBN 0-441-00923-9|
|3||Club Dead||May 2003||ISBN 0-441-00923-9|
|4||Dead to the World||Mar 2002||ISBN 0-441-01167-5|
|4.1||Fairy Dust||Powers of Detection|
|4.2||Dracula Night||Many Bloody Returns|
|4.3||Dancers in the Dark||Night's Edge||novella|
|5||Dead as a Doornail||May 2005||ISBN 0-441-01279-5|
|5.1||One Word Answer||Bite|
|6||Definitely Dead||May 2006||ISBN 0-441-01400-3|
|6.1||Tacky||My Big, Fat Supernatural Wedding||Dahlia short story|
|7||All Together Dead||May 2007||ISBN 0-441-01494-1|
Between the Dark and Daylight
|8||From Dead to Worse||May 2008||ISBN 0-441-01589-1|
|8.1||Gift Wrap||Wolfsbane and Mistletoe|
|8.2||Bacon||Strange Brew||makes an offhand reference to|
|9||Dead and Gone||May 2009||ISBN 0-441-01715-0|
|9.1||The Britlingens Go to Hell||Must Love Hellhounds|
|9.2||Dahlia Underground||Crimes by Moonlight||takes place during All Together Dead;|
|10||Dead in the Family||May 2010|
|10.1||Two Blondes||Death's Excellent Vacation|
|10.2||Small-Town Wedding||The Sookie Stackhouse Companion''||novella|
|10.3||A Very Vampire Christmas||Glamour Magazine||Dec 2010||a Dahlia short story|
|11||Dead Reckoning||May 2011|
|11.1||Death by Dahlia||Down These Strange Streets||a Dahlia short story|
|12.1||If I Had a Hammer||Home Improvement: Undead Edition|
|12.2||Playing Possum||An Apple for the Creature|
|13||Dead Ever After||May 2013||The final Sookie Stackhouse novel|
|13.1||The Blue Hereafter||Games Creatures Play|
|14||After Dead: What Came Next||The World of Sookie Stackhouse||October 29, 2013|
|15||Dead But Not Forgotten: Stories from The World of Sookie Stackhouse||November 25, 2014|
- Dying for Daylight (February 2011)
Harper Connelly Series (2005 - 2009)
- Grave Sight (2005) ISBN 0-425-20568-1
- Grave Surprise (2006) ISBN 0-425-21203-3
- An Ice Cold Grave (2007) ISBN 0-425-21729-9
- Grave Secret (2009) ISBN 0-441-01830-0; ISBN 978-0-441-01830-7
- Grave Sight Part 1 (June 2011) ISBN 1-60690-229-6, 978-1-60690-229-5
- Grave Sight Part 2 (November 2011) ISBN 1606902393, 978-1606902394
- Grave Sight Part 3 (March 2012) ISBN 1606902695, 978-1606902691
Cemetery Girl Series (with Christopher Golden)
- Book One: The Pretenders (2014) ISBN 978-0-857-38908-4.
- Book Two: Inheritance (2015) ISBN 978-0425256671
- Book Three: Haunted (2018)
Midnight, Texas Trilogy (2014 - 2016)
- Midnight Crossroad (May 2014)
- Day Shift (May 2015)
- Night Shift (May 2016)
Gunnie Rose Series
- An Easy Death (2018)
- Sweet and Deadly (1981) ISBN 0-395-30532-2. republished in UK as Dead Dog
- A Secret Rage (1984) ISBN 0-395-35323-8
- Layle Steps Up (2010)
- A Taste of True Blood (2010)
- Indigo (2017)
Anthologies and Collections
|Anthology or Collection||Contents||Publication Date||ISBN||Comments|
|Murder, They Wrote||Deeply Dead||1997||ISBN 1-57297-194-0|
|Powers of Detection||Fairy Dust||Oct 2004|
|Night's Edge||Dancers in the Dark||Oct 2004||ISBN 0-373-77010-3|
|Bite||One Word Answer||Sep 2005|
|My Big, Fat Supernatural Wedding||Tacky||Oct 2006||ISBN 0-312-34360-4|
|Many Bloody Returns||Dracula Night||Sep 2007|
|Blood Lite||An Evening with Al Gore||Oct 2008||ISBN 1-4165-6783-6|
|Wolfsbane and Mistletoe||Gift Wrap||Oct 2008|
|Unusual Suspects||Lucky||Dec 2008||ISBN 0-441-01637-5|
|Strange Brew||Bacon||Jul 2009|
|Must Love Hellhounds||The Britlingens Go to Hell||Sep 2009|
|Sookie Stackhouse 8 Copy Boxed Set||Dead Until Dark||Sep 2009|
|Between the Dark and Daylight||Lucky||Sep 2009||ISBN 1606480596, 9781606480595|
|A Touch of Dead||Fairy Dust
One Word Answer
|Oct 2009||ISBN 0-441-01197-7|
|Crimes by Moonlight||Dahlia Underground||Apr 2010||ISBN 0425235637, 9780425235638|
|Death's Excellent Vacation||Two Blondes||Aug 2010|
|Delta Blues||Crossroads Bargain||2010||ISBN 1935562061|
|Home Improvement: Undead Edition||If I Had a Hammer||Aug 2011|
|The Sookie Stackhouse Companion||Small-Town Wedding||Aug 2011|
|An Apple for the Creature||Playing Possum||Sep 2012|
|Down These Strange Streets||Death by Dahlia||Oct/Nov 2011|
|The World of Sookie Stackhouse||After Dead: What Came Next||Oct 2013||an anthology with interviews,
FAQ, recipes, and more
|Games Creatures Play||The Blue Hereafter||Apr 2014|
|Inherit the Dead||Five||2014||ISBN 1451684754, 9781451684759|
|Urban Allies||Blood for Blood||2016|
|Matchup||Dig Here||2017||ISBN 1501141597, 9781501141591|
- Many Bloody Returns (September 2007) (co-editor with Toni LP Kelner)
- Wolfsbane and Mistletoe (October 2008) (co-editor with Toni LP Kelner)
- Crimes by Moonlight (April 2010)
- Death's Excellent Vacation (August 2010) (co-editor with Toni LP Kelner)
- Home Improvement: Undead Edition (August 2011) (co-editor with Toni LP Kelner)
- An Apple for the Creature (September 2012) (co-editor with Toni LP Kelner)
Her series of novels The Southern Vampire Mysteries was adapted into the show True Blood. The series lasted 7 seasons and totaled 80 episodes. It was nominated for dozens of awards. True Blood aired on HBO. The show was also the most viewed show on HBO since The Sopranos.
- True Blood
- Sookie Stackhouse
- Aurora Teagarden
- Midnight, Texas—a television series based on the book series
- List of crime writers
- Romance novel
- Wright, Thea. "Biography of Charlaine Harris". Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- Harris, Charlaine. "Charlaine Harris: Biography". Archived from the original on 19 October 2012. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- Harris, Charlaine. "Charlaine Harris — Bibliography". Archived from the original on 30 January 2012. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- Deborah Solomon, "Questions for Charlene Harris: Once Bitten: The writer talks about her 10th vampire novel and the hit TV series it inspired," New York Times Magazine, May 2, 2010, p. 18.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-19. Retrieved 2014-03-28.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "TV News, TV Recaps, TV Reviews, TV ratings — From Inside the Box — Zap2it". Tv.zap2it.com. Retrieved 2012-01-27.
- Creepy, Uncle (2010-02-28). "True Blood Creator Comic Coming Along With Some Surprises". Dreadcentral.com. Retrieved 2012-01-27.
- "Charlaine Harris, author of Sookie Stackhouse books, is born - Nov 25, 1951 - HISTORY.com". HISTORY.com. Retrieved 2017-07-24.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-03-01. Retrieved 2014-01-09.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- American Crime Writers League Archived September 28, 2016, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Charlaine Harris: Putting the Bite on Cozy Mysteries" Archived March 5, 2016, at the Wayback Machine, retrieved on 2009-10-27.
- Shepard, Martha Hunter (Fall 2007). "Charlaine Harris: Dead-On Author". Rhodes Magazine. Rhodes College. Archived from the original on 2008-12-02. Retrieved 2008-11-29.
- "Charlaine Harris (1951–)". Encyclopedia of Arkansas. Retrieved 2017-01-19.
- "OMSG announces deal with Charlaine Harris, #1 NYT bestselling author". Retrieved 2017-08-25.
- a Southern Vampire story without the character of Sookie Stackhouse
- "September 11, 2010 Wall Post". Facebook.com. Retrieved 2012-01-27.
- "August 15, 2010, August 21, 2010, and November 16, 2010 Wall Posts". Facebook.com. Retrieved 2012-01-27.
- "Bibliography — Sookie Stackhouse". Charlaine Harris. Archived from the original on 2012-01-30. Retrieved 2012-01-27.
- "Dying for Daylight". Dying for Daylight. 2010-12-22. Archived from the original on 2011-01-28. Retrieved 2012-01-27.
- "Story Behind Cemetery Girl by Charlaine Harris". Upcoming4.me. 2014-01-02. Archived from the original on 2014-01-03. Retrieved 2014-01-02.
- "February 6, 2009". Charlaineharris.com. 2009-02-06. Archived from the original on February 10, 2012. Retrieved 2012-01-27.
- "'True Blood' Author's 'Aurora Teagarden' Franchise Coming to Hallmark (Exclusive)". Hollywood Reporter. 8 July 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (October 29, 2015). "'Midnight, Texas' Drama Based On 'True Blood' Author Books Set At NBC". Deadline.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Charlaine Harris.|
- Official website
- Fantastic Fiction Author Page
- Charlaine Harris at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Charlaine Harris Collection (MUM00221) owned by the University of Mississippi Department of Archives and Special Collections
- Charlaine Harris's Lifestyle Blog
- Story Behind Cemetery Girl — Online Essay by Charlaine Harris
- The book "Dead and gone", "which vampire he meant", just like the Alien and Alopecia progeria.-H.H.Li March 16, 2017.