Adams with Birmingham City, 2016
|Full name||Charlee Shaun Adams|
|Date of birth||16 February 1995|
|Place of birth||Redbridge, England|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|20??–2011||West Ham United|
|2014||→ Lincoln City (loan)||14||(0)|
|2014–2015||→ Lincoln City (loan)||14||(2)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 21:54, 23 January 2016 (UTC)).
Charlee Shaun Adams (born 16 February 1995) is an English professional footballer who plays for Birmingham City. A midfielder, he made his first-team debut for Birmingham in the FA Cup in January 2014, and appeared 28 times in the Conference Premier in two spells on loan at Lincoln City.
Life and career
Adams was born in Redbridge, London, and attended Cumberland School in nearby Newham. As a youngster he was on the books of his local club, West Ham United, but after a trial at the end of the 2010–11 season, he and fellow West Ham trainee Kortney Hause joined Birmingham City's academy. He maintained a blog on the League Football Education website about the progress of his two-year scholarship.
In May 2013, he signed a one-year professional contract with an option for a further year. With Tom Adeyemi injured and Hayden Mullins needed in defence, Adams was given squad number 34 ahead of the Championship visit to Brighton & Hove Albion on 11 January 2014. He travelled as a reserve, but was not part of the matchday squad. Adams was included among the substitutes for Birmingham's FA Cup third-round match against Bristol Rovers three days later, and made his first-team debut as an 89th-minute replacement for Olly Lee with Birmingham 3–0 ahead.
On 31 January, he joined Conference Premier club Lincoln City on loan until the end of the season. He went straight into the starting eleven for the following day's match and played the full 90 minutes as Lincoln beat FC Halifax Town 3–1. According to the Lincolnshire Echo, he "excelled playing in a defensive midfield role. He ratted about and read the game brilliantly to give the City back four the best protection they have had in a long time." He played regularly until the end of the season, and after failing to break into Birmingham's first team in the early part of the new season, returned to Lincoln on loan until 1 January 2015.
He again played regularly. By Christmas, the Echo described him as having "been different class since he arrived for his second loan spell", highlighting "the maturity and intelligence he shows on and off the ball" and "his ability to win the ball and get play going". In the local derby away to Grimsby Town, he scored his first senior goal, a powerful volleyed shot from distance that tied the scores and, according to the Grimsby Telegraph, "changed the complexion" of the match, which Lincoln went on to win 3–1. The goal was shortlisted for the Non-League Paper's National Game Awards Goal of the Season. His loan was initially extended to the end of February, and then to the end of the season. On 3 March 2015, after Adams had played 15 times for Lincoln, he was recalled to Birmingham. Manager Gary Rowett felt his development would be better served by playing regularly in under-21 matches and training with the first team at his parent club, and his progress was rewarded with a new one-year contract with the option of a further year.
Adams made his first Football League appearance on 23 January 2016, as a stoppage-time substitute with Birmingham 3–0 up at home to Ipswich Town in the Championship. Within seconds of coming on, he produced a shot on target from outside the penalty area.
- As of match played 23 January 2016
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
|Lincoln City (loan)||2013–14||Conference Premier||14||0||—||—||—||14||0|
|Lincoln City total||28||2||—||—||1||0||29||2|
- Appearance in FA Trophy
- "List of Players Registered as Scholars in Accordance with Rule C.3 Between 01/07/2011 and 31/07/2011". The Football Association. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- "Player Profiles: Charlee Adams". Birmingham City F.C. Retrieved 6 May 2015.
- "Charlee Adams". 11v11.com. AFS Enterprises. Retrieved 2 February 2014.
- "Y11 turn out for their presentation evening". Cumberland School. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Adams, Charlee (4 November 2011). "Joining The Blues: Pre-season Part 1". League Football Education. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Adams, Charlee (3 May 2013). "Charlee Adams – Birmingham City FC". League Football Education. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- Walker, Andy (20 May 2013). "Pro deals penned". Birmingham City F.C. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Birmingham City FC [BCFC] (10 January 2014). "NEWS: Versatile midfielder @CharleeAdams95 has been handed first-team squad number 34. #BCFC" (Tweet). Retrieved 6 May 2015.
- Tattum, Colin (11 January 2014). "Lee Clark: I am frustrated for the players because they gave me everything once again". Birmingham Mail. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- "Birmingham 3–0 Bristol Rovers". BBC Sport. 14 January 2014. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- "City snap up teenage midfielder". Lincoln City F.C. 31 January 2014. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- Pakey, John (1 February 2014). "Lincoln City 3 FC Halifax 1: Man of the match, Ben Tomlinson". Lincolnshire Echo. Retrieved 2 February 2014.
- "Games played by Charlee Adams in 2013/2014". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 6 May 2015.
- "Adams back on youth loan". Lincoln City F.C. 14 November 2014. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- Pakey, John (26 December 2014). "Lincoln City 3 Alfreton Town 2: Match ratings, Charlee Adams excels in win". Lincolnshire Echo. Retrieved 30 December 2014.
- Marshall, D. (28 December 2014). "Grimsby Town 1 Lincoln City 3: Charlee Adams thunderbolt turns around derby thriller". Lincolnshire Echo. Retrieved 30 December 2014.
"WATCH: Lincoln City's wonder-strike that helped to down Grimsby Town". Grimsby Telegraph. 29 December 2014. Retrieved 30 December 2014.
- Coney, Steven (2 May 2015). "National Game Awards 2014–15 Shortlists". The Non-League Paper. Retrieved 6 May 2015.
- "Adams extends youth loan". Lincoln City F.C. 22 December 2014. Retrieved 30 December 2014.
- Pakey, John (21 January 2015). "Lincoln City extend loan of Birmingham City's Charlee Adams to the end of the season". Lincolnshire Echo. Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- "Charlee Adams recalled from Lincoln". Birmingham City F.C. 3 March 2015. Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- "Charlee Adams pens new deal". Birmingham City F.C. 6 May 2015. Retrieved 6 May 2015.
- "Birmingham 3–0 Ipswich". BBC Sport. 23 January 2016. Retrieved 24 January 2016.
- "Games played by Charlee Adams in 2014/2015". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 6 May 2015.
- "Games played by Charlee Adams in 2015/2016". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 24 January 2016.
- "C. Adams". Soccerway. Perform Group. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- Charlee Adams career statistics at Soccerbase
- Profile at Birmingham City F.C. website
- Adams's blog at the League Football Education website