Karl, Prince of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen
|Prince of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen|
Prince Karl in 1852
20 February 1785|
Sigmaringen Castle, Principality of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen, Germany
|Died||11 March 1853
|Spouse||Princess Antoinette Murat
Princess Katharina of Hohenlohe-Waldenburg-Schillingsfürst
Karl Anton, Prince of Hohenzollern
|Father||Anton Aloys, Prince of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen|
|Mother||Princess Amalie Zephyrine of Salm-Kyrburg|
In 1833, Karl summoned a constitutional assembly (Landtag) and promulgated a constitutional charter as the law in his lands. He founded a hospital for his subjects, and had the Ständehaus built on the modern Leopoldsplatz in Sigmaringen (today owned by the Hohenzollerische Landesbank). Karl also removed the burden of serfdom and various other medieval laws.
His marriage as hereditary prince at the imperial court in Paris on 4 February 1808 to Princess Antoinette Murat, a niece of Napoleon I's brother-in-law, the French Marshal Joachim Murat who was then Grand Duke of Berg, constituted a union between extended family members of the previously warring French imperial and Prussian royal dynasties following Napoleonic victories on the European continent. Following the death of his first wife on 19 January 1847, Karl married Princess Katharina (1817–1893) on 14 March 1848, daughter of Karl III Albrecht, last reigning Prince of Hohenlohe-Waldenburg-Schillingsfürst, and the widow since 1845 of Count Franz Erwin von Ingelheim, on 14 March 1848.
From his first marriage he had the following children:
- Karoline von Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (1810–1885)
- ∞ 1. 1839 Count Friedrich Franz Anton von Hohenzollern-Hechingen (1790–1847)
- ∞ 2. 1850 Johann Stäger von Waldburg (1822–1882)
- Karl Anton (1811–1885), Prince of Hohenzollern, Prussian minister
- ∞ 1834 Princess Josephine of Baden (1813–1900)
- Amalie of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (1815–1841)
- ∞ 1835 Prince Eduard von Sachsen-Altenburg (1804–1852)
- Friederike von Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (1820–1906)
- ∞ 1844 Marchese Gioacchino Napoleone Pepoli (1825–1881)
- Huberty, Michel; Giraud, Alain; Magdelaine, F. and B. (1989). ’’L'Allemagne Dynastique, Tome V – Hohenzollern-Waldeck’’. France: Laballery. pp. 207, 222–223. ISBN 2-901138-05-5.
- Gustav Schilling: Geschichte des Hauses Hohenzollern, in genealogisch fortlaufenden Biographien aller seiner Regenten von den ältesten bis auf die neuesten Zeiten, nach Urkunden und andern authentischen Quellen, (German) F. Fleischer, 1843, S. 300 ff.
- German monarchy.de (German) Retrieved 22 January 2010
- Thomson, David (1961). "The Empire and Its Effects". Europe Since Napoleon. New York: Knopf. pp. 44–45.
- Der Stammbaum seit 1800 Archived 2 January 2008 at the Wayback Machine. from Schloss Sigmaringen website (German) Retrieved 22 January 2010
Karl, Prince of Hohenzollern-SigmaringenBorn: 20 February 1785 Died: 11 March 1853
|Prince of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen
|This article about a member of the German nobility is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|