Charles A. Dinarello
Charles A. Dinarello
Charles Dinarello, 2010
|Alma mater||Yale University|
|Known for||Research on inflammatory cytokines|
|Awards||Ernst Jung Prize (1993)|
Crafoord Prize (2009)
Albany Medical Center Prize (2009)
Paul Ehrlich and Ludwig Darmstaedter Prize (2010)
Tang Prize (2020)
|Institutions||University of Colorado Denver|
Dinarello received his Doctor of Medicine in 1969 at Yale University and since 1996, he is Professor of Medicine at University of Colorado School of Medicine. He is also Professor of Experimental Medicine at the Radboud University Medical Center in Nijmegen, The Netherlands. Dinarello is considered one of the founding fathers of cytokines having purified and cloned interleukin-1. This important step established the validation of cytokines as mediators of disease, particularly of inflammation. Current studies blocking IL-1 in humans supports Dinarello's and his co-workers pivotal contributions to cytokine biology and the pathogenesis of inflammatory diseases.
He is fluent in English, Italian and German.
- 1993: Ernst Jung Prize
- 2006: Hamdan Award for Medical Research Excellence, awarded by Sheikh Hamdan bin Rashid Al Maktoum Award for Medical Sciences, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- 2009: Crafoord Prize in Polyarthritis (together with Tadamitsu Kishimoto and Toshio Hirano) “for their pioneering work to isolate interleukins, determine their properties and explore their role in the onset of inflammatory diseases”.
- 2009: Albany Medical Center Prize (shared with Ralph M. Steinman and Bruce A. Beutler)
- 2010: Paul Ehrlich and Ludwig Darmstaedter Prize
- 2010: Novartis Prize in Clinical Immunology (together with Juerg Tschopp).
- 2011: Foreign membership of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 2020: Tang Prize in Biopharmaceutical Science.
- Press Release of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences Archived July 8, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- Immune system researchers win $500K medical prize
- "Charles Dinarello". Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 29 January 2016. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- Tang Prize 2020
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Charles A. Dinarello.|
|Scholia has a profile for Charles A. Dinarello (Q834442).|
|This biographical article related to a physician in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|