Charles Allsopp, 6th Baron Hindlip
His main career was in Christie's, the fine arts auction house, in which he was General Manager of Christie's New York and later Chairman of Christie, Manson & Woods and finally of Christie's International.
The elder son of the fifth Baron Hindlip, by his marriage to Cecily Valentine Jane Borwick, daughter of Lieutenant-Colonel Malcolm Borwick, Hindlip was educated at Eton College. He served in the Coldstream Guards from 1959 until 1962, when he joined Christie's. Only three years later he was appointed as General Manager of Christie's New York, where he remained until 1970. Returning to London, he was a director of Christie, Manson & Woods from 1970, Deputy Chairman from 1985 and Chairman from 1986 to 1996, when he took over as Chairman of Christie's International, in which post he stayed until 2002. From 2003 to 2004 he was Deputy Chairman of Agnew's.
Marriage & Children
Hindlip married Fiona Victoria Jean Atherley (1947-2014), a daughter of Hon William Johnston McGowan, second son of Harry McGowan, 1st Baron McGowan on 18 April 1968. They lived at Lydden House, Kings Stag, near Hazelbury Bryan, Dorset. They had four children together:
- Hon Kirstie Mary Allsopp (born 31 August 1971)
- Hon Henry William Allsopp (born 8 June 1973), heir apparent to the peerage.
- Hon Sophia Atherley Allsopp (born 1980)
- Hon Natasha Fiona Allsopp (born 1986)
Title and styles
- Charles Henry Allsopp ( 5 August 1940 - 30 March 1966)
- Honourable Charles Henry Allsopp ( 30 March 1966 - 19 December 1993 )
- Rt Hon Lord Hindlip ( 19 December 1993 -
Coat of arms
- 'Hindlip, 6th Baron (born 5 Aug. 1940)' in Who's Who 2014 (London, A. & C. Black)
- Charles Mosley, ed., Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage (107th edition, 2003), vol. 2, p. 1922
- Lords debates, 10 February 1999, at hansard.millbanksystems.com, accessed 13 February 2014
- The Peerage, entry for 6th Lord Hindlip
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Charles Henry Allsopp, 6th Baron Hindlip
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
Henry Richard Allsopp
| Baron Hindlip
1993 - present