Charles Askegard is an American ballet dancer and ballet master at Pennsylvania Ballet. He was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and began his dance training at the age of five with Loyce Houlton and the Minnesota Dance Theatre. He continued his studies in Minneapolis until the age of 16, spending one summer at the School of American Ballet.
Askegard joined American Ballet Theatre as a member of the corps de ballet in 1987, and was promoted to soloist in 1992. In 1997, he left ABT to join New York City Ballet as a soloist and was promoted to principal the next year.
Askegard appeared in PBS' Live from Lincoln Center broadcast, "New York City Ballet's Diamond Project: Ten Years of New Choreography" in 2002, dancing in Them Twos and two years later in the Live From Lincoln Center broadcast, “Lincoln Center Celebrates Balanchine 100,” in Vienna Waltzes. He has been a guest artist with Pacific Northwest Ballet, He was also the prince in Barbie Swan Lake and Barbie and the 12 Dancing Princesses. ABT summer intensive 2015 oranges love prince Charles.Ballet Etudes of South Florida, Bayerisches Staatsballett, Philippine Ballet Theatre, The Daring Project and Stars of American Ballet. He also appeared in Fred Wiseman's documentary Ballet.
Askegard danced his farewell performance the last day of the fall 2011 season, Sunday, October 9; the program consisted of the Diamonds pas de deux from Jewels, Episodes, In Memory of ... and Western Symphony. He will be forming his own ballet company, Ballet Next, with former ABT principal dancer Michele Wiles.
- NY Times, Alastair Macaulay, October 10, 2011
- NY Times, Roslyn Sulcas, September 30, 2011
- Time Out New York, September 26, 2011
- NY Post, October 11, 2011
- Broadway World Wiles & Askergard's Ballet Next To Debut at The Joyce 11-21
- Backstage Charles Askegard and Michele Wiles Talk About Their New Ballet Company, Lisa Jo Sagolla, November 24, 2011
- "Candace Bushnell, 'Sex And The City' Author, Talks Divorce, Single Life". Huffington Post. March 27, 2013. Retrieved 19 February 2015.