Bigg was the winner of the Gaisford Prize for Greek Prose in 1861. In 1886, he delivered the Bampton Lectures, later published as: The Christian Platonists of Alexandria. He served as the principal of Brighton College in 1871. In 1900 he was invited by the Bishop of London, Mandell Creighton, to a round table conference that produced The Doctrine of Holy Communion and its Expression in Ritual in 1900.
- The Christian Platonists of Alexandria : Eight lectures preached before the University of Oxford in the year 1886 on the foundation of the late Rev. John Bampton (1886)
- Neoplatonism (1895)
- The imitation of Christ : called also The ecclesiastical music (1900). Translated by Bigg.
- A critical and exegetical commentary on the Epistles of St. Peter and St. Jude (1901)
- The church's task under the Roman empire; four lectures with preface, notes, and an excursus (1905)
- Wayside sketches in ecclesiastical history; nine lectures (1906)
- The origins of Christianity (1909)
- The doctrine of the twelve Apostles (1922)