|— Alpine skier —|
|Disciplines||Downhill, Giant Slalom
15 December 1932|
|Died||7 July 1964
Aiguille Verte, Haute-Savoie, France
|Teams||2 – (1956, 1960)|
|Medals||1 (0 gold)|
|Teams||4 – (1956, 1958, 1960, 1962)
|Medals||4 (1 gold)|
Born in Chamonix, Haute-Savoie, Bozon won a gold medal in the slalom at the 1962 World Championships, held at his hometown of Chamonix in a snowstorm. Earlier, he had won a bronze medal in the slalom at the 1960 Winter Olympics in Squaw Valley, California, and two world championship silver medals in the combined in 1956 and 1960. Bozon suffered fractured vertebra in the giant slalom at the world championships in 1958 and vowed not to compete again. He did not compete in the Olympics in 1964.
Bozon died in 1964 at age 31 in a mountain climbing accident near Mont Blanc. He and 13 climbing companions were killed in an avalanche on the Aiguille Verte, a 13,524-foot (4,122 m) mountain in the Mont Blanc massif. The climbing party had reached an elevation of about 9,000 feet (2,740 m) when the avalanche occurred. Bozon's father, Charles, Sr., had died on the same slope in an avalanche in 1938.
- Bennett, Bill (January 22, 1963). "Frenchman Charles Bozon dedicated ski specialist". Montreal Gazette. p. 23.
- "Speedy French star wins world slalom". Spokesman-Review. Associated Press. February 14, 1962. p. 14.
- "1960 Winter Olympics – Squaw Valley, United States – Alpine Skiing" (Retrieved on February 28, 2008)
- "U.S. ski hopes are disqualified". St. Petersburg Times. February 14, 1962. p. 3-C.
- "Alpine avalanche kills 14 climbers". Tuscaloosa (AL) News. Associated Press. July 7, 1964. p. 1.
- "Snow slide in Alps kills 14 climbers". Spokesman-Review. Associated Press. July 8, 1964. p. 1.
- "Avalanche kills French ski champ, Charles Bozon". Eugene Register-Guard. UPI. July 8, 1964. p. 9.
- "Ski star killed racing avalanche". Tuscaloosa News. Associated Press. April 13, 1964. p. 1.
- Charles Bozon at the International Ski Federation
- "Charles Bozon". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC.
- Ski-db.com – results – Charles Bozon
|This biographical article relating to alpine skiing in France is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Winter Olympic medalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a French Olympic medalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|