Charles Brown (offensive lineman)
Brown with the Saints in 2012
|No. 71, 78|
|Date of birth:||April 10, 1987|
|Place of birth:||Chino Hills, California|
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||297 lb (135 kg)|
|High school:||Pomona (CA) Diamond Ranch|
|NFL Draft:||2010 / Round: 2 / Pick: 64|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at PFR|
Charles Rashad Jamaal Brown (born April 10, 1987) is a former American football offensive tackle in the National Football League (NFL) for the New Orleans Saints, New York Giants and Dallas Cowboys. He played college football at USC, where he won the Morris Trophy, recognizing the best offensive and defensive linemen on the West Coast in 2009.
Brown attended Diamond Ranch High School in Pomona, California, where he was two-way lineman and tight end. He had 15 receptions for 250 yards and 2 touchdowns as a senior, and earned 2004 Super Prep All-American and several other All-Region honors. On defense, he recorded 10 sacks and more than 70 tackles. He was an All-League second teamer as a 2003 junior and an All-League first teamer as a 2002 sophomore.
Regarded as a three-star recruit by Rivals.com, Brown was listed as the No. 23 offensive tackle prospect in the nation. Meanwhile, Scout.com considered him a tight end prospect and gave him a four-star rating, placing him 10th on their tight end ranking. Brown chose USC over Oregon and UCLA.
Brown was originally recruited as a tight end by USC, and arrived on campus carrying about 250 pounds (110 kg). He spent the 2005 season as a redshirted freshman tight end, but was switched to offensive tackle in the middle of the season.
In 2006 Brown was a backup to Sam Baker at left offensive tackle and played on special teams. He appeared in all 13 games in 2006, including 4 games when he saw brief action at tackle. Still a backup to Baker in his sophomore year, Brown appeared in 9 games as tackle and on special teams. He even started at right tackle in the season opener against Idaho. He sprained his ankle prior to the Arizona game and sat out that contest.
After the departure of Sam Baker to the NFL, Brown started all games of the 2008 season at left offensive tackle for the Trojans and did a commendable job, which earned him a 2008 All-Pac-10 honorable mention.
In 2009, Brown was listed at No. 8 on Rivals.com′s preseason offensive tackle power ranking. Brown was named first team All American by Sporting News, won the Morris Trophy, and was All Pac-10 as a senior in 2009.
2010 NFL Draft
Brown was regarded as one of the best offensive tackles available in the 2010 NFL Draft, and draws comparisons to Maurice Williams. Listed at 285 pounds during his senior year at USC, Brown weighed in at 303 pounds at the NFL Combine.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 5 in||303 lb||35¼ in||11⅜ in|
|All values from NFL Combine|
New Orleans Saints
Brown was selected by the New Orleans Saints in the second round (64th overall) of the 2010 NFL Draft. He signed a four-year contract on July 26, 2010. As a rookie, he played in 3 games and was inactive for 13 games.
The next year he appeared in 8 games with 5 starts. In 2012, he played in 10 games with 3 starts. In 2013, he started the first 14 games at left tackle.
New York Giants
On April 1, 2014, the New York Giants announced the signing of Brown to a free agent contract. The contract was for one-year, $795,000, with a base salary of $730,000 and a $55,000 signing bonus. On November 22, he was waived after playing in only 2 games.
New York Jets
On September 14, 2015, he was signed as a free agent by the Dallas Cowboys, to take over the backup swing tackle role from a struggling Darrion Weems. He didn't have any starts during the season and was just used in some situational run formations. On July 26, 2016, he announced his retirement.
- Rivals.com Offensive tackles 2005, January 18, 2005
- Scout.com Tight End Ranking 2005
- Buchanan, Olin; Dienhart, Tom; Fox, David; Huguenin, Mike; Megargee, Steve (August 22, 2009), "Preseason offensive tackle power rankings", Rivals.com
- Brandt, Gil, "Top offensive tackle prospects for 2010 hail from the Big 12", NFL.com
- "NFL Draft-2010 OT Draft Prospects", CBS Sportsline
- "Draft Profile: Charles Brown", CBSSports.com
- "Charles Brown Combine Profile", NFL.com, retrieved February 27, 2010.
- Robert Stewart, "Charles Brown signs four-year deal with New Orleans Saints", Times-Picayune, July 26, 2010.
- Patra, Kevin (April 1, 2014). "Charles Brown, New York Giants strike contract". NFL.com. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "Charles Brown Contracts, Salaries, Cap Hits, and News Profile".
- Lange, Randy (June 12, 2015). "Jets Sign Tryout Tackle Charles Brown". New York Jets. Archived from the original on June 14, 2015. Retrieved June 14, 2015.
- Phillips, Rob (July 26, 2016). "Jets Sign Tryout Tackle Charles Brown". DallasCowboys.com. Retrieved July 27, 2015.