Charles Cadogan, 8th Earl Cadogan
|The Earl Cadogan|
|Born||Charles Gerald John Cadogan
24 March 1937
|Tenure||1997 – present|
|Other titles||Viscount Chelsea (1937-1997)|
|Net worth||$6.6 billion|
|Heir||Edward Charles Cadogan, Viscount Chelsea|
|Spouse(s)||Lady Philippa Wallop
(m. 1963; d. 1984)
Jennifer Jane Greig née Rae
(m. 1989; div. 1994)
Dorothy Ann née Shipley
|Issue||Lady Anna-Karina Cadogan
Edward Charles Cadogan, Viscount Chelsea
The Hon. William John Cadogan
|Parents||William Cadogan, 7th Earl Cadogan
Primrose Lilian née Yarde-Buller
He was born the son of William Gerald Charles Cadogan, 7th Earl Cadogan and known as Viscount Chelsea before inheriting the title of Earl Cadogan on the death of his father on 4 July 1997. He was educated at Eton College. He is a first cousin of the Aga Khan IV.
He was a Second Lieutenant in the Coldstream Guards. He was appointed a Deputy Lieutenant (DL) of Greater London in 1996. He chaired Chelsea Football Club from 1981 until 1982 and is also a Governor of Culford School in Suffolk.
In the Sunday Times Rich List 2009 ranking of the wealthiest people in the United Kingdom, his family was placed 14th with an estimated fortune of £2 billion. — the second richest UK-based peer behind the Duke of Westminster. The Cadogan family's wealth is based on Cadogan Estates, extensive landholdings in Chelsea, a wealthy part of London, including much of Sloane Street and Cadogan Hall.
- Salvation Army Cross of the Order of Distinguished Auxiliary Service - 1970 (for exceptional service rendered to the Army by non-Salvationists)
- Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire (KBE) - 2012 Queen's Birthday Honours (for charitable services)
Marriages and children
- Lady Anna-Karina Cadogan (b. 4 Feb 1964)
- Edward Charles Cadogan, Viscount Chelsea (b. 10 May 1966)
- The Hon. William John Cadogan (b. 9 Nov 1973)
He married secondly the etiquette expert Jennifer Jane Greig Rae (married 1989, divorced 1994). She married, secondly, a businessman Alan Taylor: the couple have homes in Portugal and Virginia.
Lord Cadogan's heir, Viscount Chelsea, lives at the family's Snaigow estate in Scotland. Lord Chelsea was educated at St David's College, Llandudno, and then served with the RAF in the first Gulf war.
|Ancestors of Charles Cadogan, 8th Earl Cadogan|
- "Charles Cadogan". Forbes. Retrieved 4 January 2015.
- Sunday Times Rich List 2009 online edition
- Order Of Distinguished Auxiliary Service[unreliable source?]
- The London Gazette: . 16 June 2012.
- "Working class hero". The Daily Telegraph. London. 14 April 2002.
- Kay, Richard (3 June 2013). "RICHARD KAY: Snub for the man who put Queen on TV". Daily Mail. London.
- "CADOGAN", Who's Who 2009, A & C Black, 2008; online edn, Oxford University Press, Dec 2008 accessed 1 May 2009
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source][better source needed]
- Lundy, Darryl. "p. 4791 § 47905". The Peerage.[unreliable source]
|Peerage of Great Britain|