Charles Chetwynd-Talbot, 22nd Earl of Shrewsbury
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|The Right Honourable|
The Earl of Shrewsbury
|Lord High Steward of Ireland|
|Assumed office |
12 November 1980
|Member of the House of Lords|
|Assumed office |
16 February 1981
|Preceded by||John, Earl of Shrewsbury|
|Born||Charles Henry John Benedict Crofton Chetwynd Chetwynd-Talbot|
18 December 1952
Ingestre Hall, Staffordshire
|Spouse(s)||Deborah Jane Hutchinson|
Charles Henry John Benedict Crofton Chetwynd Chetwynd-Talbot, 22nd Earl of Shrewsbury, 22nd Earl of Waterford, 7th Earl Talbot DL (born 18 December 1952), styled Viscount Ingestre until 1980, is an English nobleman and the Lord High Steward of Ireland. He is the premier earl in the Peerage of England as the Earl of Shrewsbury (created 1442), and in the Peerage of Ireland as the Earl of Waterford (1446). He also holds the titles of Earl Talbot and Baron Talbot.
Background and education
He is the fifth child and eldest son of John Chetwynd-Talbot, 21st Earl of Shrewsbury, and his first wife, Nadine Crofton, daughter of Brigadier General Cyril Randell Crofton. Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester, was his godfather. His parents divorced in 1963. He was educated at Harrow School.
Lord Shrewsbury is one of the 92 hereditary peers elected to sit in the House of Lords and a whip for the Conservative and Unionist Party. He was appointed a Deputy Lieutenant of Staffordshire in 1994. He has remained in later life involved as patron or honorary president of charities including the Staffordshire Historic Churches Trust. He is patron of eleven Anglican benefices.
A frequent country sportsman, Lord Shrewsbury is president of the Gun Trade Association and deputy-chairman of the Standing Conference on Country Sports. He is a liveryman of three London livery companies: the companies of weavers, gunmakers and blacksmiths. He earlier retired as president of the British Shooting Sports Council and the Firearms Consultative Committee at the Home Office. He is a member of the Army & Navy Club and Pratt's Club. Lord Shrewsbury has derived an income over many years by divesting himself of Manorial Titles through auction houses, a practice which has brought him into the public eye.
He retired in earlier life as Director and Deputy Chairman of Britannia Building Society and President of The Building Societies Association. He promotes British industry and commerce in the United States and at home. He promotes the British shooting sports and its niche manufactures businesses abroad.
- Lady Victoria Chetwynd-Talbot (b. 7 September 1975). Married Daniel Goodall in 2005; has one child:
- Charlie Goodall (b. 15 September 2006)
- James Chetwynd-Talbot, Viscount Ingestre (b. 11 January 1978). Married Polly Blackie of Debden, Essex, in 2006; has four children:
- The Hon. Matilda Chetwynd-Talbot (b. 3 November 2008)
- The Hon. Rose Chetwynd-Talbot (b. 20 February 2010)
- The Hon. Flora Chetwynd-Talbot (b. 30 September 2011)
- The Hon. George Chetwynd-Talbot (b. 3 May 2013)
- The Hon. Edward Chetwynd-Talbot (b. 18 September 1981). Married Rosie Myers of Scamblesby, Lincolnshire, in 2010; has one daughter:
- Jemima Grey Chetwynd-Talbot
|Ancestors of Charles Chetwynd-Talbot, 22nd Earl of Shrewsbury|
- Mosley, Charles, ed. (2003). Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knighthood (107 ed.). Burke's Peerage & Gentry. p. 3602. ISBN 0-9711966-2-1.
- Montague-Smith, Patrick W., ed. (2008). "Shrewsbury and Waterford, Earl of (Chetwynd-Talbot) (Earl E 1442, I 1446, and GB 1784)". Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage 2008. London: Debrett's Peerage Limited.
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 1803–2005
- Current session contributions in Parliament at Hansard
- Voting record at PublicWhip.org
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou.com
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live
- Chetwynd-Talbot, 22nd Earl of Shrewsbury
- Some Maternal Ancestry
Earl of Southesk
| United Kingdom order of precedence
The Earl of Derby
The Earl of Shrewsbury
| Lord High Steward of Ireland
|Peerage of England|
| Earl of Shrewsbury
|Peerage of Ireland|
| Earl of Waterford
|Peerage of Great Britain|
| Earl Talbot