Charles Theodore Dotter
|Born||Charles Theodore Dotter
June 14, 1920
|Died||February 15, 1985
|Known for||interventional radiology|
Charles Theodore Dotter (14 June 1920 – 15 February 1985) was a pioneering US vascular radiologist who is credited with developing interventional radiology. Dotter, together with his trainee Dr Melvin P. Judkins, described angioplasty in 1964.
Dotter invented angioplasty and the catheter-delivered stent, which were first used to treat peripheral arterial disease. On January 16, 1964, at Oregon Health and Science University Dotter percutaneously dilated a tight, localized stenosis of the superficial femoral artery (SFA) in an 82-year-old woman with painful leg ischemia and gangrene who refused leg amputation. After successful dilation of the stenosis with a guide wire and coaxial Teflon catheters, the circulation returned to her leg. The dilated artery stayed open until her death from pneumonia two and a half years later. He also developed liver biopsy through the jugular vein, initially in animal models and in 1973 in humans.
Charles Dotter is commonly known as the "Father of Interventional Radiology." He served as the chairman of the School of Medicine Department of Diagnostic Radiology at Oregon Health Sciences University for 33 years, from 1952 until his death in 1985. The University now boasts the Dotter Interventional Institute in his honor.
- Charles Dotter In Memoriam, American Alpine Club
- Payne M (2001). "Charles Theodore Dotter: The Father of Intervention". Tex Heart Inst J. 28 (1): 28–38. PMC . PMID 11330737.
- Dotter C, Judkins M (1 November 1964). "Transluminal treatment of arteriosclerotic obstruction. Description of a new technic and a preliminary report of its applications" (PDF). Circulation. 30 (5): 654–70. doi:10.1161/01.CIR.30.5.654. PMID 14226164.
- Rosch Josef; et al. (2003). "The birth, early years, and future of interventional radiology". J Vasc Interv Radiol. 14 (7): 841–853. doi:10.1097/01.RVI.0000083840.97061.5b. PMID 12847192.
- Dotter CT (February 1964). "Catheter biopsy. Experimental technic for transvenous liver biopsy". Radiology. 82: 312–4. doi:10.1148/82.2.312. PMID 14115317.
- Rösch J, Lakin PC, Antonovic R, Dotter CT (August 1973). "Transjugular approach to liver biopsy and transhepatic cholangiography". N. Engl. J. Med. 289 (5): 227–31. doi:10.1056/NEJM197308022890501. PMID 4713761.
- Biography of Charles Dotter
- Dotter Interventional Institute
- Misty M. Payne: 'Charles Theodore Dotter: The Father of Intervention’. In: Texas Heart Institute Journal, 2001, 28(1): p.28–38
|This biographical article related to medicine in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|