Charles Edward Mansfield
Colonel Sir Charles Mansfield KCMG (11 October 1828 – 1 August 1907) was a British army officer and diplomat, envoy to several countries.
Charles Edward Mansfield joined the army in 1848 as an ensign in the 33rd Regiment of Foot. He became a lieutenant in 1831. He was aide-de-camp to Sir Colin Campbell during the Crimean War, was present at the battles of Alma and Balaclava in September and October 1854, was mentioned in despatches and promoted to captain in December 1854. He was present in the trenches at the attack and fall of Sevastopol in 1855 and was again mentioned in despatches. He was appointed aide-de-camp to his brother, William Mansfield, then a brigadier-general attached as military adviser to the British ambassador at Constantinople. William Mansfield returned to India as Chief of Staff, with Charles continuing as aide-de-camp. During the Indian Mutiny in 1857 Charles was severely wounded at the Second Battle of Cawnpore. Afterwards he was again mentioned in despatches and was made brevet major, and substantive major in June 1858.
In 1865 Charles Mansfield was appointed Consul-General at Warsaw with local rank of lieutenant-colonel. He was made permanent lieutenant-colonel in 1869. He was agent and consul-general at Bucharest 1876–78, during which he was promoted to full colonel. He was Minister Resident at Bogotá 1878–81, at Caracas 1881–84 (representing the United Kingdom at the centenary of Simón Bolívar in 1883), and at Lima from 1884 until 1894 when he retired. He was knighted KCMG in 1887.
- A Latter-Day Novel, Chapman and Hall, London, 1878
- MANSFIELD, Sir Charles Edward, Who Was Who, A & C Black, 1920–2007; online edn, Oxford University Press, Dec 2007
- Obituary, The Times, London, 8 August 1907, page 3
- The London Gazette, 1 September 1848
- The London Gazette, 8 August 1851
- The London Gazette, 29 December 1854
- The London Gazette, 29 January 1858, J.W. Mansfield should read C.E. Mansfield, see The London Gazette, 2 February 1858
- The London Gazette, 29 January 1858
- The London Gazette, 15 June 1858
- The London Gazette, 27 June 1865
- The London Gazette, 22 August 1865
- The London Gazette, 2 April 1869
- The London Gazette, 7 July 1876
- The London Gazette, 9 November 1877
- The London Gazette, 23 August 1878
- The London Gazette, 6 May 1881
- The London Gazette, 6 January 1885
- The London Gazette, 8 July 1887
- A Latter-Day Novel. By Lieutenant-Colonel C. E. Mansfield., The Spectator, 13 July 1878
- "Archival material relating to Mansfield, Sir Charles Edward (1828-1907) Knight Army Officer Diplomat". UK National Archives.
|Agent and Consul-General in the United Principalities of Moldavia and Wallachia
Sir William White
|Minister Resident and Consul-General to the United States of Colombia
|Minister Resident to the United States of Venezuela
Frederick St John
Spenser St. John
|Minister Resident and Consul-General to the Republic of Peru
Henry Mitchell Jones