|Bishop of Gloucester|
|Church||Church of England|
|Province||Province of Canterbury|
|Diocese||Diocese of Gloucester|
|Consecration||25 March 1863|
|Birth name||Charles John Ellicott|
|Born||25 April 1819|
Whitwell, Rutland, England
|Died||15 October 1905 (aged 86)|
Birchington-on-Sea, Kent, England
|Spouse||Constantia Ann Becher|
|Children||Arthur and Rosalind|
|Alma mater||Stamford School;|
St John's College, Cambridge
Charles John Ellicott (1819–1905) was a distinguished English Christian theologian, academic and churchman. He briefly served as Dean of Exeter, then Bishop of the united see of Gloucester and Bristol.
Early life and family
Following his ordination into the Anglican ministry in 1848, he was Vicar of Pilton, Rutland and then Professor of Divinity at King's College London and Hulsean Professor of Divinity at Cambridge. The chancel of St Nicholas' Church, Pilton was rebuilt in 1852 in 13th-century style.
In 1861, he was appointed Dean of Exeter. Two years later he was nominated the bishop of the See of Gloucester and Bristol on 6 February and consecrated on 25 March 1863. In 1897, Bristol was removed from Diocese, but he continued as Bishop of Gloucester until resigning on 27 February 1905. He died in Kent on 15 October 1905, aged 86.
- Historical Lectures on the Life of Our Lord Jesus Christ: Being the Hulsean Lectures for the Year 1859. With Notes, Critical, Historical, and Explanatory, 1862
- Destiny of the Creature, 1865
- Historical Lectures on the Life of Christ, 1870
- Modern Unbelief, its Principles and Characteristics, 1877
- Spiritual Needs in Country Parishes, 1888
- Sacred Study
- An Old Testament Commentary for English Readers, 1897 (Editor)
- A New Testament Commentary for English Readers, 1878
- St Paul's First Epistle to the Corinthians: With a Critical and Grammatical Commentary, 1887
- Our Reformed Church and its Present Troubles, 1897
- The Revised Version of Holy Scripture, 1901
- The Times, Wednesday, 3 July 1861; pg. 6; Issue 23975; col A New Dean of Exeter
- "Who was Who"1897-1990 London, A & C Black, 2007 ISBN 0-7136-3457-X
- "Ellicott, Charles John (ELCT837CJ)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- The Nautical Magazine and Naval Chronicle... a Journal of Papers on Subjects Connected with Maritime Affairs. Simpkin, Marshall & Company. 1848. p. 566.
- "Mrs Ellicott". The Times. London, England (40455): 10. 24 February 1914.
- Fryde et al. 1986, Handbook of British Chronology, pp. 232 and 249.
- Fryde et al. 1986, Handbook of British Chronology, p. 232.
- Fryde et al. 1986, Handbook of British Chronology, p. 249.
- The Times, Monday, 16 October 1905; pg. 5; Issue 37839; col B Death of Bishop Ellicott.
|Wikisource has original works written by or about:|