Charles Ernest Chadsey
|Charles E. Chadsey|
Charles E. Chadsey
October 15, 1870|
Nebraska City, Nebraska
|Died||April 9, 1930
Urbana, Champaign County, Illinois
|Alma mater||Stanford University|
|Occupation||Educator, Author, College Dean, School Superintendent|
|Title||Dean, College of Education
University of Illinois
|Spouse(s)||Callie Worth Chadsey (née Price)|
|Children||Charles Price Chadsey|
Sallie Maria Chadsey (née Barnum)
Charles Ernest Chadsey (Oct. 15, 1870 - April 9, 1930) was a renowned American educator and school administrator. Born in Nebraska City, Nebraska, he was educated at Stanford University and at Columbia University where he earned his Ph.D in Philosophy in 1894. He served as Superintendent of city schools in Detroit, Michigan from 1912-1919. The former Chadsey High School on the west side of Detroit was named in his honor. Prior to his tenure in Detroit he had served as superintendent of two city school districts in the U.S. State of Colorado - Durango and Denver - as well as the city of Chicago, Illinois.
In the April 20, 1922 issue of The Daily Illini, the student newspaper of the University of Illinois, an article was published about Dean Chadsey praising his accomplishments, his unimpeachable character, and the high regard in which he was held by both students and faculty, stating: "It was in the positions of superintendent of public schools in Denver, Detroit and Chicago that he proved himself to be the most able man in his line in the country" and considered by many to have been "The foremost school superintendent of the United States."
Dr. Chadsey was a member of the National Educational Association and its Educational Council where he served as President of the Department of Superintendence in 1912. His fraternal organization affiliations were Phi Delta Theta and Phi Beta Kappa. He was also the author of several books and numerous educational magazine articles.
- Chadsey, Charles E. The Struggle Between President Johnson and Congress Over Reconstruction (1897)
- Chadsey, Charles E. America in the making: From wilderness to world power (1928)
- Marquis, Albert Nelson. The Book of Detroiters: A Biographical Dictionary Of Leading Living Men Of The City of Detroit (1908) 2nd Edition (1914)
- Works by or about Charles Ernest Chadsey at Internet Archive
- Genealogical Record; Charles E. Chadsey
- University Library Digital Newspaper Collection; University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Biographies - Wayne County, Michigan
- The Book of Detroiters: A Biographical Dictionary Of Leading Living Men Of The City of Detroit (1908) 2nd Edition (1914)
- The Daily Illini, April 20, 1922; Volume 51, Number 166.