December 30, 1945|
South Padre Island, Texas
|Area(s)||Cartoonist, Writer, Penciller, Inker, Colourist|
"Thadeus & Weez"|
"The Daily Scribble"
Fincher received his bachelor's degree from the University of Texas at Austin in 1968, and he was a Distinguished Military Graduate of St. Mary's University School of Law, where he received his juris doctor in 1971.
In the 1970s, Fincher began publishing his law-related comics and strips. During 1987 he began his long-running Texas-themed political newspaper comic strip, Thadeus & Weez, which ran in 19 Texas newspapers before being retired in 2005. Also in 2005, he won the “Best Web Cartoons” in the "People's Pick" category from About.com for The Illustrated Daily Scribble. Besides Texas newspapers, his editorial cartoons have appeared in the Arizona Daily Star and the Boston Herald, and his work has been reprinted in textbooks and legal journals.
Fincher ended his long-running political comic strip, "The Illustrated Daily Scribble," in 2006, because, he was quoted as saying, "The Bush administration is hard to satirize." Then, a year later, he resumed "Scribble" and launched two new strips, "Scribble-in-Law" and "Scribble Beach". His most recent cartoon characters include Bitcher & Prickman, comic law partners. He is also the founder of LawComix, a cartoon site for lawyers. And he is the creator of "Legal Isms," 10 comic strips about lawyers, contracted by LexisNexis.
In 2008, Fincher was commissioned by the ABA’s Council of Appellate Staff Attorneys (CASA) to paint a fantasy illustration of Constitutional law professor Erwin Chemerinsky as a shortstop with the Chicago Cubs, the scholar's favorite team. The painting was presented to Chemerinsky at a conference.
- State Bar of Texas lawyer listing
- Thadeus & Weez
- The Daily Cartoonist, "Section Awards," Dec. 31, 2005
- Baylor University, Collection of Political Materials, cartoon collections
- Law.com, "New cartoon blawg," February 2006
- HeinOnline, ABA Journal, 1979, with Charles Fincher editorial cartoon
- The Daily Cartoonist article, "Illustrated Daily Scribble Comes to a Close," March 23, 2006
- Editor & Publisher, "Cartoonist Resumes One 'Scribble' and Starts Two Others," Feb. 6, 2007
- Greenlaw.com, "Some lawyers are stand-up cartoons," Aug. 1, 2009
- Allison law firm biography
- Texas Lawyer, "Lawyer paints portrait of Con Law legend," November 18, 2008
- The Allison Law Firm, list of lawyers
- "The Daily Scribble" archives
- LawComix by Charles Fincher
- Off The Law blog by Charles Fincher
- Lawyer-Slash-Artist blog, original artwork by Charles Fincher
- Membership listing, The Association of American Editorial Cartoonists
- Flak Magazine, Sunday Comics, Aug. 3, 2008
- Law.com, The Legal Intelligencer: "A Sampling From the Varied Legal Blogosphere" (scroll down), Sept. 2, 2008