Charles Godfrey (American football)
Godfrey with the Atlanta Falcons
|Date of birth:||November 15, 1985|
|Place of birth:||Baytown, Texas|
|Height:||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight:||210 lb (95 kg)|
|High school:||Baytown (TX) Lee|
|NFL Draft:||2008 / Round: 3 / Pick: 67|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
Charles Marquise Godfrey (born November 15, 1985) is a retired American football free safety. He played college football at Iowa and was drafted by the Carolina Panthers in the third round of the 2008 NFL Draft.
At the University of Iowa Godfrey appeared in 47 contest with 28 starts, 25 coming at corner back 2 at strong safety and 1 at free safety. During his career he recorded 193 tackles and seven interceptions. In his junior season, he recorded 83 tackles and two interceptions. As a senior, he recorded 65 tackles and five interceptions.
2008 NFL Draft
|Ht||Wt||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20 ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|5-11*||205 lb *||4.58 *||1.54*||2.58*||4.41*||7.29*||37*||10'0"*||13 *||x|
Despite spending most of his time at cornerback, he was described as a physical hitter that likes to provide run support, and may be better suited at safety.
Godfrey was selected with the 4th pick in the 3rd round of the 2008 NFL Draft. He was quickly announced the team's free safety during camp that May, after reportedly impressing coaches. He started all 16 games at the free safety position and finished his rookie campaign with 61 tackles, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble and 1 interception.
On September 10, 2011, the Panthers re-signed Godfrey to a 5-year/$27.5 million contract extension with $12.4 million guaranteed.
He was released on September 15, 2015, in order to make room for the signing of Jake Long. On October 6, Godfrey re-signed with the Falcons to offer depth while starting safety Ricardo Allen recovers from injuries.
On October 20, 2015, it was reported that the Falcons had released Godfrey in order to make room for newly acquired linebacker, Philip Wheeler. On October 27, 2015, the Falcons re-signed Godfrey.
Godfrey signed another contract to stay with the Falcons on March 15, 2016.
|Year||Team||GP||COMB||TOTAL||AST||SACK||FF||FR||FR YDS||INT||IR YDS||AVG IR||LNG||TD||PD|
- "Carolina Panthers, strong safety Charles Godfrey agree to 5-year contract extension". The Washington Post.[dead link]
- "Fines roundup: Alphonso Smith docked for horse-collar tackle". National Football League. 2012-10-26. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- Patra, Kevin (October 21, 2014). "Carolina Panthers cut Charles Godfrey". NFL.com. Retrieved 2014-10-22.
- Newton, David (October 22, 2014). "Why Panthers had to let Charles Godfrey go". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2014-10-22.
- "Falcons Sign T Long and Release S Godfrey". Atlanta Falcons.com. September 15, 2015. Retrieved October 8, 2015.
- "Falcons Place WR Hester on Short-Term IR". AtlantaFalcons.com. October 6, 2015. Retrieved October 8, 2015.
- Jeremy Bergman. "Atlanta Falcons sign linebacker Philip Wheeler". Retrieved October 20, 2015.
- McClure, Vaughn (October 27, 2015). "Banged up at safety, Falcons bring back Charles Godfrey again". ESPN.com. Retrieved March 26, 2016.
- "Falcons Re-Sign S Godfrey". AtlantaFalcons.com. March 15, 2016. Retrieved March 26, 2016.
- "Charles Godfrey Stats". ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved 23 October 2015.