Charles Gordon, 11th Marquess of Huntly
|The Most Honourable
The Marquess of Huntly
PC, DL, JP
|Captain of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen-at-Arms|
21 January 1881 – 27 June 1881
|Prime Minister||William Ewart Gladstone|
|Preceded by||The Earl Fife|
|Succeeded by||The Lord Carrington|
|Born||5 March 1847|
|Died||20 February 1937(aged 89)|
|Spouse(s)||Amy Brooks (d. 1920)
Charlotte Fallon (d. 1939)
|Alma mater||Trinity College, Cambridge|
Charles Gordon, 11th Marquess of Huntly PC, DL, JP (5 March 1847 – 20 February 1937), styled Lord Strathavon until 1853 and Earl of Aboyne between 1853 and 1863, was a Scottish Liberal politician. He served under William Ewart Gladstone as Captain of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen-at-Arms between January and June 1881.
Background and education
Huntly was the son of Charles Gordon, 10th Marquess of Huntly, by his second wife Maria Antoinette, daughter of Reverend Peter William Pegus, and succeeded to the marquessate in 1863 at the age of sixteen. He was educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge.
In 1870 Huntly was appointed a Lord-in-Waiting (government whip in the House of Lords) in the first Liberal administration of William Ewart Gladstone, a post he held until 1873, and served from January to June 1881 as Captain of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen-at-Arms (government chief whip in the House of Lords) in Gladstone's second administration. In 1881 he was sworn of the Privy Council. In 1930 he became Father of the House of Lords.
Lord Huntly married firstly Amy, daughter of Sir William Cunliffe Brooks, 1st Baronet, in 1869. After her death in 1920 he married secondly Charlotte Isabella, daughter of John H. Fallon and widow of James Macdonald, in 1922. Both marriages were childless. Huntly died in February 1937, aged 89, and was succeeded in the marquessate by his great-nephew, Douglas Gordon. The Marchioness of Huntly died in May 1939.
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- thepeerage.com Charles Gordon, 11th Marquess of Huntly
- "Gordon, Charles (Marquess of Huntly) (GRDN865C)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "No. 23636". The London Gazette. 22 July 1870. p. 3478.
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990.[page needed]
- "No. 24927". The London Gazette. 25 January 1881. p. 339.
- "No. 24946". The London Gazette. 4 March 1881. p. 988.
- "Charlotte Jane Isabelle Gordon (née Fallon), Marchioness of Huntly". National Portrait Gallery, London.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Marquess of Huntly
The Earl Fife
|Captain of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen-at-Arms
The Lord Carrington
The Viscount Hereford
|Father of the House of Lords
The Marquess of Ailsa
|Peerage of Scotland|
|Marquess of Huntly