Charles H. Beeson
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Charles Henry Beeson (1870–1949) was an American classical scholar. His book A Primer of Medieval Latin: An Anthology of Prose and Poetry (1925) has remained one of the leading texts for learning post-classical Latin. In addition, he was an active researcher and reviewer, especially for the journal Classical Philology. In 1935, he was elected a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
Beeson was born in Columbia City, Indiana. In 1893, he received his A.B. in classics from Indiana University. In 1895, he received his A.M. from Indiana. In 1907, he received his Ph.D. from Munich University.
- A Primer of Medieval Latin: An Anthology of Prose and Poetry, Chicago, 1925.
- The Vocabulary of the Annales Fuldenses, Speculum Vol. 1 (1), Jan. 1926: 31-37
- Isidore's Institutionum Disciplinae and Pliny the Younger, Classical Philology Vol. 8 (1), Jan. 1913: 93-98
- The Text Tradition of Donatus' Commentary on Terence, Classical Philology Vol. 17 (4), Oct. 1922: 283-305
- The Archetype of the Roman Agrimensores, Classical Philology Vol. 23 (1), Jan. 1928: 1-14
- The Manuscript Problem of Vitruvius, Classical Philology Vol. 30 (4) Oct. 1935: 342-347
- The Text History of the Corpus Caesarianum, Classical Philology Vol. 35 (2), Apr. 1940: 113-125
- The Collectaneum of Hadoard, Classical Philology Vol. 40 (4), Oct. 1945: 201-222
- The Manuscripts of Bede, Classical Philology Vol. 42 (2), Apr. 1947: 73-87
- Lupus of Ferrières and Hadoard, Classical Philology Vol. 43 (3) Jul. 1948: 190-191
- "Book of Members, 1780-2010: Chapter B" (PDF). American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved May 30, 2011.
- "Indiana University Register of Graduates - Illinois Residents". Illinois Genealogy Trails. Retrieved May 30, 2011.
- Bowman, John Stewart (1995). Cambridge Dictionary of American Biography. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0521402583.
- Kahn, David (1996). The Codebreakers: the Story of Secret Writing. New York: Scribner. p. 352. ISBN 0-684-83130-9.
- Charles H. Beeson at the Database of Classical Scholars
- Works by or about Charles H. Beeson at Internet Archive
|This biography of a United States linguist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|