Charles H. Jacoby Jr.
Charles H. Jacoby Jr.
|Born||June 19, 1954|
Detroit, Michigan, United States
|Service/||United States Army|
|Years of service||1978–2014|
|Commands held||United States Northern Command|
North American Aerospace Defense Command
United States Army Alaska
Multi-National Corps – Iraq
|Battles/wars||Operation Urgent Fury|
War in Afghanistan
|Awards||Defense Distinguished Service Medal (3)|
Army Distinguished Service Medal (2)
Defense Superior Service Medal (3)
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal (2)
|Alma mater||University of Michigan|
Charles Hemming Jacoby Jr. (born June 19, 1954) is a retired United States Army general who served as the fifth Commander of United States Northern Command (USNORTHCOM) and the 22nd Commander of North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD). Jacoby was the first army officer to assume command of Northern Command. He previously served as the Director for Strategic Plans and Policy, The Joint Staff. He assumed command of USNORTHCOM and NORAD on August 3, 2011, and was succeeded by Admiral William E. Gortney on December 5, 2014. Jacoby is notable as the first non-command pilot to serve as commander of either NORAD/USNORTHCOM, as both commands have traditionally been dominated by Air Force officers and NORAD carries a heavy air interdiction mission.
A 1978 graduate of the United States Military Academy, Jacoby attended the Infantry Officer Basic and Advanced courses, the Army Command and General Staff College, the School of Advanced Military Studies, and the National War College.
Awards and decorations
- Individual awards
|Defense Distinguished Service Medal (with two bronze oak leaf clusters)|
|Distinguished Service Medal (with one bronze oak leaf cluster)|
|Defense Superior Service Medal (with two bronze oak leaf clusters)|
|Legion of Merit|
|Bronze Star Medal (with one bronze oak leaf cluster)|
|Defense Meritorious Service Medal|
|Meritorious Service Medal (with one silver oak leaf cluster)|
|Joint Service Commendation Medal|
|Army Commendation Medal (with four bronze oak leaf clusters)|
|Army Achievement Medal (with one bronze oak leaf cluster)|
|National Defense Service Medal (with one bronze service star)|
|Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal|
|Afghanistan Campaign Medal (with one bronze service star)|
|Iraq Campaign Medal (with one bronze service star)|
|Global War on Terrorism Service Medal|
|Humanitarian Service Medal (with one bronze service star)|
|Army Service Ribbon|
|Overseas Service Ribbon (with award numeral 6)|
- Unit awards
|Joint Meritorious Unit Award (with two bronze oak leaf clusters)|
|Meritorious Unit Commendation|
|Superior Unit Award|
- International military award
|Inter-American Defense Board Medal|
- Foreign awards
|Medal "Monja Blanca", 2nd class (Guatemala)|
|Commander of The Order of Military Merit José María Córdova (Colombia)|
|Condecoración al Mérito Militar, Primera Clase (Mexico)|
|Condecoración al Mérito Naval, Segunda Clase (Mexico)|
|Canada Meritorious Service Cross (Military Division)|
|Combat Infantryman Badge|
|Expert Infantryman Badge|
|Master Parachutist Badge|
|Air Assault Badge|
|Honduran Parachutist Badge|
|Royal Thai Airborne badge|
|United States Northern Command Badge|
|North American Aerospace Defense Command Badge|
- Other accoutrements
|82nd Airborne Division Combat Service Identification Badge|
|504th Infantry Regiment Distinctive Unit Insignia|
|5 Overseas Service Bars|
- "NOMINATIONS BEFORE THE SENATE ARMED SERVICES COMMITTEE, FIRST SESSION, 112TH CONGRESS" (PDF). Fas.gov. Retrieved March 6, 2022.
- "Charles Hemming Jacoby Jr". Westpointaog.org. West Point Association of Graduates. Retrieved June 12, 2019.
- "Lieutenant General Charles H. Jacoby, Jr. – Director for Strategic Plans and Policy, J5". www.jcs.mil. United States Department of Defense. September 1, 2010. Archived from the original on September 27, 2011. Retrieved July 30, 2011.
- "Senate approves Votel as Socom commander". Archived from the original on September 4, 2014. Retrieved September 3, 2014.
- Statement of General Charles H. Jacoby, Jr., United States Army Commander United States Northern Command and North American Aerospace Defense Command before the House Armed Services Committee, 6 March 2012 p. 3. Au.af.mil
- Roeder, Tom (December 5, 2014). "New Northern Command Boss: "We will succeed"". The Gazette. Retrieved December 6, 2014.
- [permanent dead link]
- "Mexican armed forces honors Gen. Jacoby". U.S. Northern Command. US Northern Command. August 20, 2014. Archived from the original on October 31, 2014. Retrieved September 19, 2014.
- Tilman, Leo M. and General Charles Jacoby (February 24, 2020). "The most agile day". Strategy-business.com. Retrieved February 28, 2020.
- Defense News Interview with General Charles Jacoby
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Deep State Radio Network, 2/2019, ARE WE READY FOR THE FUTURE OF WAR?: A CONVERSATION WITH GENERAL (RET.) CHARLES JACOBY