Charles H. Jacoby Jr.
|Charles H. Jacoby Jr.|
General Charles H. Jacoby Jr., United States Army
June 19, 1954|
Detroit, Michigan, United States
|Service/||United States Army|
|Years of service||1978–present|
Charles H. Jacoby Jr. (born June 19, 1954) is a retired United States Army general who served as the fifth Commander of United States Northern Command (USNORTHCOM) and the 22nd Commander of North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD). Jacoby was the first Army officer to assume command of Northern Command. He previously served as the Director for Strategic Plans and Policy, The Joint Staff. He assumed the United States Northern Command (USNORTHCOM) and the 22nd Commander of North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) assignment on August 3, 2011, and was succeeded by Admiral William E. Gortney on December 5, 2014. General Jacoby is notable as the first non-command pilot to serve as commander of either NORAD/USNORTHCOM, as both commands have traditionally been dominated by Air Force officers and NORAD carries a heavy air interdiction mission.
A 1978 graduate of the United States Military Academy, General Jacoby attended the Infantry Officer Basic and Advanced courses, the Army Command and General Staff College, the School of Advanced Military Studies, and the National War College.
Awards and decorations
- Individual awards
|Defense Distinguished Service Medal (with two bronze oak leaf clusters)|
|Distinguished Service Medal (with one bronze oak leaf cluster)|
|Defense Superior Service Medal (with two bronze oak leaf clusters)|
|Legion of Merit|
|Bronze Star (with one bronze oak leaf cluster)|
|Defense Meritorious Service Medal|
|Meritorious Service Medal (with one silver oak leaf cluster)|
|Joint Service Commendation Medal|
|Army Commendation Medal (with four bronze oak leaf clusters)|
|Army Achievement Medal (with one bronze oak leaf cluster)|
|National Defense Service Medal (with one bronze service star)|
|Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal|
|Afghanistan Campaign Medal (with one bronze service star)|
|Iraq Campaign Medal (with one bronze service star)|
|Global War on Terrorism Service Medal|
|Humanitarian Service Medal (with one bronze service star)|
|Army Service Ribbon|
|Overseas Service Ribbon (with award numeral 6)|
- Unit awards
|Joint Meritorious Unit Award (with two bronze oak leaf clusters)|
|Meritorious Unit Commendation|
|Superior Unit Award|
- International military award
|Inter-American Defense Board Medal|
- Foreign awards
|Medal "Monja Blanca", 2nd class (Guatemala)|
|Commander of The Order of Military Merit José María Córdova (Colombia)|
|Condecoración al Mérito Militar, Primera Clase (Mexico)|
|Condecoración al Mérito Naval, Segunda Clase (Mexico)|
|Canada Meritorious Service Cross (Military Division)|
|Combat Infantryman Badge|
|Expert Infantryman Badge|
|Master Parachutist Badge|
|Air Assault Badge|
|Honduran Parachutist Badge|
|Royal Thai Airborne badge|
|United States Northern Command Badge|
|North American Aerospace Defense Command Badge|
- Other accoutrements
|82nd Airborne Division Combat Service Identification Badge|
|504th Infantry Regiment Distinctive Unit Insignia|
|5 Overseas Service Bars|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Charles H. Jacoby, Jr..|
- Unknown (September 1, 2010). "Lieutenant General Charles H. Jacoby, Jr. - Director for Strategic Plans and Policy, J5". www.jcs.mil. United States Department of Defense. Retrieved July 30, 2011.
- "Senate approves Votel as Socom commander".
- Statement of General Charles H. Jacoby, Jr., United States Army Commander United States Northern Command and North American Aerospace Defense Command before the House Armed Services Committee 6 March 2012 p. 3.
- Roeder, Tom (5 December 2014). "New Northern Command Boss: "We will succeed"". The Gazette. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- Unknown (August 2011). "General Charles H. Jacoby, Jr" (PDF). www.norad.mil. North American Aerospace Defense Command. Retrieved 2011-09-25.[permanent dead link]
- "Mexican armed forces honors Gen. Jacoby". U.S. Northern Command. US Northern Command. 20 August 2014. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
James A. Winnefeld Jr.
| Commander of the North American Aerospace Defense Command
Commander of the United States Northern Command
August 3, 2011 – December 5, 2014
William E. Gortney