Charles Hardinge, 2nd Viscount Hardinge
Charles Stewart Hardinge, 2nd Viscount Hardinge (2 September 1822 – 28 July 1894), was a British Conservative politician.
Hardinge was the son of Field Marshal Henry Hardinge, 1st Viscount Hardinge, and Lady Emily Jane Stewart, daughter of Robert Stewart, 1st Marquess of Londonderry. Hardinge was elected Member of Parliament for Downpatrick in 1851, a seat he held until 1856, when he succeeded his father in the viscountcy and entered the House of Lords. He held office as Under-Secretary of State for War from March 1858 to March 1859 in the Second Derby-Disraeli ministry.
He was aged 21, when he went to India as private secretary to his father, the then, governor general, from July 1844 to January 1848.
Lord Hardinge married Lady Lavinia, daughter of George Bingham, 3rd Earl of Lucan, in 1856. They had five sons and three daughters. Their second son the Hon. Charles was raised to the peerage in his own right as Baron Hardinge of Penshurst in 1910. Lady Hardinge died in September 1864, shortly after the birth of her youngest child. Lord Hardinge remained a widower until his death in July 1894, aged 71. He was succeeded in the viscountcy by his eldest son, Henry.
- Hardinge, Charles Stewart (2009). Singh, Bawa Satinder (ed.). My Indian Peregrinations: the Private Letters of Charles Stewart Hardinge, 1844-1847. Texas Tech University Press. ISBN 978-0896724440.
- Hart's Army List, 1855
- "Hardinge, Charles Stewart". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/12268. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source][better source needed]
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs
- Media related to Charles Hardinge, 2nd Viscount Hardinge at Wikimedia Commons
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Viscount Hardinge
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament for Downpatrick
Sir John Ramsden, Bt.
| Under-Secretary of State for War
March 1858 – March 1859
The Earl of Rosslyn
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
| Viscount Hardinge
Henry Charles Hardinge