Charles Harrison (musician)
Charles Harrison (born 21 March 1974) has been Organist and Master of the Choristers of Chichester Cathedral since September 2014, succeeding Sarah Baldock. He has also held musical posts at Southwell Minster, Carlisle and Lincoln Cathedral.
Early life and education
Harrison was a cathedral chorister at Southwell Minster, where was tutored by Kenneth Beard and Paul Hale, and he took up the organ scholarship at Southwell in 1991 while he studied for A-levels at Southwell Minster School. In the following year, he started as an organ scholar at Jesus College, Cambridge in 1992, where he read for a degree in music. Whilst at Cambridge, he studied the organ with David Sanger and, in his second year, became a prizewinning Fellow of the Royal College of Organists. When he graduated, he was appointed to the position of Assistant Organist at Carlisle Cathedral.
Whilst at Carlisle Cathedral, Harrison developed his career as a solo instrumentalist, appearing in recitals and numerous international competitions. In 1999, he was awarded prizes in the St Albans International Organ Festival, and in the following year at the Odense International Organ Competition. After three years at Carlisle, he moved to Belfast, Northern Ireland.
In 2000, Harrison took up a part-time teaching position at Queen's University Belfast, specialising in harmony, counterpoint and keyboard skills. He also became Director of Music at St George's Church, Belfast.
In September 2003, Harrison returned to England, having been appointed Assistant Director of Music and Sub Organist of Lincoln Cathedral after Simon Morley left to become Director of Music at Ripon Cathedral. Harrison held the position for eleven years, accompanying services and directing the choir of boys and men, and latterly the choir of girls and men. Following the resignation of Sarah Baldock in 2014, he took up the position as Organist and Master of the Choristers at Chichester Cathedral.
- 2013 - Great Hymns from Lincoln, with Aric Prentice and Lincoln Minster School Chamber Choir, for Priory Records
- 2012 - IRELAND, J.: Church Music , with Aric Prentice and Lincoln Cathedral Choir, for Naxos Records
- 2011 - Organ Duets by Mozart, Mendelssohn, Langlais, Tomkins, Carleton, Johnstone, Leighton, with David Leigh (organ), for Guild Records
- 2008 - O be joyful in the Lord, with Aric Prentice and Lincoln Cathedral Choir, for Guild Records
- 2005 - Hail Mary, with Aric Prentice and Lincoln Cathedral Choir, for Guild Records
- 1998 - Comfort & Joy: Music for Advent, Christmas, Epiphany and Candlemas, with Jeremy Suter and Carlisle Cathedral Choir
- "About us". The Wordsworth Singers. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- "Organ Scholars". Jesus College Choir. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- "BIOGRAPHY". Charles Harrison. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- "Millennium concert at Carlisle Cathedral". Cumberland & Westmorland Herald. 15 January 2000.
- "Irish Times Notes / Petertide Ordinations". Church of Ireland. 23 June 2001.
- "St. George’s Singers". The Parish Church of St George, Belfast. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- "Cathedral Director of Music resigns". Ripon Gazette. 10 October 2003.
- "Music, Society and the Enlightenment / Guest Lecture with Charles Harrison". University of Lincoln (archived). Retrieved 19 May 2014.
of Carlisle Cathedral
|Assistant Director of Music and Sub Organist
of Lincoln Cathedral
|Organist and Master of the Choristers
of Chichester Cathedral