Charles Hayward (musician)
Charles Hayward in Limerick, Ireland on 17 May 2007.
|Associated acts||Gong, This Heat, Camberwell Now, Crass, The Raincoats, Massacre, Hot Chip, About Group, Phil Manzanera|
Charles Hayward (born 1951) is an English drummer and was a founding member of the experimental rock group This Heat. He also played with Mal Dean's Amazing Band, Radar Favourites, Dolphin Logic, and gigged and recorded with old schoolfriend and "Pooh and the Ostrich Feather" member Phil Manzanera in the group Quiet Sun project as well as a short stint with Gong. He was a session musician on The Raincoats' second album, Odyshape, and on one occasion played drums for the anarchist punk band Crass.
In 1976, Hayward and fellow Radar Favourites and Dolphin Logic member, Charles Bullen began practising with bassist Gareth Williams under the name This Heat. They began to experiment with tape loops, found sounds and keyboards on several sessions (recorded from 1976 to 1978, but not released until 1979). Finally, in 1979, This Heat released their self-titled debut album. 1981's Deceit marked the final new album from This Heat, Williams leaving just after its release. While Bullen began working as a studio engineer, Hayward did sessions for Lora Logic, The Raincoats and Everything but the Girl before forming Camberwell Now with bassist Trefor Goronwy and tape manipulator Stephen Rickard. The trio released several albums through the Swiss Recommended label. When Camberwell Now disbanded in 1987 Hayward embarked on a solo career which has continued to the present day. He debuted with Survive the Gesture (1987), Skew-whiff (1989) Switch on War (1991) and My Secret Alphabet (with Nick Doyne-Ditmas) in 1993. In 1998, he joined Massacre with Fred Frith and Bill Laswell. Between May and October 2001 Hayward drummed in Ted Milton's band Blurt.
Throughout the 90's up to the present he has initiated a large number of events and performances, including the series Accidents + Emergencies at the Albany Theatre in Deptford, Out of Body Orchestra, music made from the sound of the new LABAN dance centre being built which was choreographed for the official opening, music for a circus (part of the National Theatre's 'Art of Regeneration' initiative), the full-on installation/performance Anti-Clockwise (with Ashleigh Marsh and David Aylward) for multiple strobes, maze structure of diverse textures, 2 drummers, synthesizers and your nervous system. Recent developments include the CONTINUITY evenings as part of Camberwell Arts.
As well as his solo performance, Hayward's recent projects include:
- Shape Moreton with Rob Mills, Nick Doyne-Ditmas, Ashleigh Marsh and Chris Cornetto, Hayward's first project since Camberwell Now, which deals in group composition, songs alongside soundscapes and improvisations.
- Albert Newton with Harry Beckett, John Edwards and Pat Thomas has been playing since its first performance at Accidents and Emergencies in the mid-1990s.
- Clear Frame with Lol Coxhill, Hugh Hopper and Orphy Robinson
- Mathilde 253 with Han-earl Park and Ian Smith
- Monkey Puzzle Trio with Viv Corringham (vocals/electronics) and Nick Doyne-Ditmas (double bass). An album White World was scheduled for release in September 2010 on the Slowfoot label.
- About Group with John Coxon, Pat Thomas and Alexis Taylor
Hayward currently lives with his wife and three children, Lewis (b. 1987), Merlin (b. 1992) and Riley (b. 1996).
- Survive the Gesture (1987) Sub Rosa
- Skew Whiff – A Tribute to Mark Rothko (1990) Sub Rosa
- Switch on War (1991) Sub Rosa
- Escape From Europe – Live in Japan vol 1 (1996) Locus Solus
- Double Agent(s) – Live in Japan vol 2 (1999) Locus Solus
- Near + Far – Live in Japan vol 3 (1999) Locus Solus
- Abracadabra Information (2004) Locus Solus
- Live At Tone Deaf 10-27-11 (2012) Otoacoustic, 12xFile, MP3, Album, 320
- One Big Atom (2011) Continuity... Records
- Trademark Ground (2012) Otoacoustic, limited edition single sided LP, 300 copies
- Anonymous Bash (2014) Samarbeta Residency, LP + DVD
- Charles Hayward: Wash Rinse Spin c/w Michael Prime: Osculation (2000) These Records
- Smell Of Metal (2014) ΚΕΜΑΛ 2 x 12"
- Charles Hayward: Out Of Order c/w Beside (2000) Dot Dot Dot Music limited edition
- Charles Hayward, Peter Bromley: Charles Hayward Recorded (2007) 1968 Film Group DVD-V PAL
Albums as collaborator
- Charles Hayward, Gigi Masin: Les Nouvelles Musiques De Chambre Volume 2 (1989) Sub Rosa
- Keep the Dog: That House We Lived In (rec 1991, rel 2003) Fred Records
- Charles Hayward, Nick Doyne-Ditmas: My Secret Alphabet (1993) Sub Rosa
- La 1919 (Chris Cutler, Charles Hayward, Roberto Zorzi): Jouer. Spielen. To Play (1994) Materiali Sonori
- Percy Howard, Charles Hayward, Fred Frith, Bill Laswell: Meridiem (1998) Materiali Sonori
- Massacre: Funny Valentine (1998) Tzadik Records
- Massacre: Meltdown (2001) Tzadik
- Lol Coxhill, Charles Hayward, Hugh Hopper, Orphy Robinson, guest cornet Robert Wyatt: Clear Frame (2007) Continuity... Records
- Massacre: Lonely Heart (2007) Tzadik
- Hugh Hopper, Simon Picard, Steve Franklin, Charles Hayward: Numero d'Vol (2007) Moonjune
- Phil Manzanera: Firebird V11 (2008) Expression Records
- Charles Hayward, John Coxon, Pat Thomas, Alexis Taylor: About (2009) Treader
- Hot Chip: One Life Stand contributed drums to tracks "Hand Me Down Your Love" and "One Life Stand" and drums and chorus vocals to "Slush" (2010) Parlophone
- GOL & Charles Hayward: GOL & Charles Hayward (2010) Planam
- Monkey Puzzle Trio (Charles Hayward, Nick Doyne-Ditmas, Viv Corringham): White World (2010) Slowfoot
- Mathilde 253 (Charles Hayward, Han-earl Park and Ian Smith) with Lol Coxhill: Mathilde 253 (2011) Slam Productions
- Massacre: Love Me Tender (2013) Tzadik
- John Coxon, Charles Hayward, Ashley Wales, Rupert Clervaux, Eben Bull, Beatrice Dillon: Disarm (2013) Lisson Gallery LP limited edition
- Monkey Puzzle Trio: The Pattern Familiar (2014) Slowfoot
- Uneven Eleven (Charles Hayward, Guy Segers, Kawabata Makoto): Live At Cafe Oto (2015) Sub Rosa
- V4V (Charles Hayward, Nick Doyne-Ditmas, others) in/out (2014) limited edition 8 disc CDR, 300 copies
Compilation albums as collaborator
- Charles Hayward, Nick Doyne-Ditmas: "Where Is Chaos Now" 20m 56s, track on compilation Chaos In Expansion (1993) Sub Rosa
- David Shea, Charles Hayward, Nûs: "the new world order, who decides ?" 8m 27s, "accidents & emergencies" 7m 12s, "no bones" 5m 02s, 3 tracks on compilation Sub Rosa Sessions Bari, October 1996 (1997) Sub Rosa
Compilation EPs as collaborator
- Raf And O: Time Machine EP track "Time Machine" + 3 remixes include "Time Machine" (Merlin & Charles Hayward new yEAR Mix) (2014)
- Steve Ignorant interviewed by Punk 77 website, 2007 http://www.punk77.co.uk/anarcho_punk/steve_ignorant_interview_2007.htm
- "Obituary: Gareth Williams". The Guardian (London). 7 February 2002. Retrieved 8 January 2010.
- "Monkey Puzzle Trio + Snorkel + Red Square". Time Out. Retrieved 20 July 2010.
- "Moment's Notice: Reviews of Recent Recordings". Point of Departure. June 2014. Retrieved 26 August 2014.
- "Nick Doyne-Ditmas interview for the Charles Hayward Recorded film (video clip 9m 28s)". Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- Astarita, Glenn (9 September 2007). "Hugh Hopper: Numero D'Vol (2007)". All About Jazz. Retrieved 26 August 2014.
- "Music interview: Hot Chip". 2010. Retrieved 16 May 2016.