Charlie Peter Hegyaljie|
August 6, 1956
|Died||November 22, 1998(aged 42)|
|Known for||Murder victim|
Hegyalji was a key figure in the amphetamine trade. He was charged with attempted murder in 1997 after a gun battle with another criminal associate and subsequently kept in custody for twelve months. Charges were dropped after witnesses refused to testify.
Hegyalji was murdered within months of his release. He was one of a large number of criminals murdered by other criminals that are the subject of the television crime series Underbelly. A major suspect in Hegyali's murder was fellow criminal Dino Dibra.
Hegyalji was best friend of celebrity criminal and convicted standover man Mark "Chopper" Read, whom he had contacted several days before his murder. Hegyalji is buried in Springvale Botanical Cemetery.
- Charlie Peter Hegyaljie — Melbourne General Cemetery Grave Location Search. Retrieved 16 September 2014.
- James Morton and Susanna Lobez (2009), Dangerous to Know. An Australasian Crime Compendium, Victory Books, Carlton, pp.220-221. ISBN 978-0-522-85681-1
- James Morton and Susanna Lobez (2007), Gangland Australia. Melbourne University Press, Carlton, pp.328. ISBN 978-0-522-85273-8
- Killing and culling, The Age
- John Silvester and Andrew Rule (2005), Underbelly. The Gangland War, Floradale and Sly Ink, Sydney, pp.124-131. ISBN 0-9752318-5-5