Charles Howard, 12th Earl of Carlisle
Charles James Ruthven Howard, 12th Earl of Carlisle, 12th Lord Ruthven of Freeland MC (21 February 1923 – 28 November 1994), styled Viscount Morpeth until 1963, was an English nobleman, politician, and peer.
Background and education
Lord Carlisle was the son of George Howard, 11th Earl of Carlisle and Bridget Monckton, 11th Lady Ruthven of Freeland. He was educated at Eton College. He succeeded his father in the earldom in 1963 and his mother in the lordship of Ruthven of Freeland in 1982.
- Lady Jane Howard (b. 28 February 1947)
- George William Beaumont Howard, 13th Earl of Carlisle (b. 15 February 1949)
- Emma Howard (b. 20 July 1952)
- Hon. Philip Charles Wentworth Howard (b. 25 March 1963)
- Charles James Ruthven Howard, 12th Earl of Carlisle profile, thepeerage.com; accessed 2 April 2016.
- "Obituary: Ela, Countess of Carlisle". Daily Telegraph.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Charles Howard, 12th Earl of Carlisle
|Peerage of England|
|Earl of Carlisle
|Peerage of Scotland|
|Lord Ruthven of Freeland