Charles King (professor of international affairs)
Charles King (born 1967) is Professor of International Affairs and Government at Georgetown University, where he previously served as Chairman of the Faculty of the Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service.
He is the author of multiple books, including Odessa: Genius and Death in a City of Dreams (W. W. Norton, 2011), Extreme Politics: Nationalism, Violence, and the End of Eastern Europe (Oxford University Press, 2010), The Ghost of Freedom: A History of the Caucasus (Oxford University Press, 2008), The Black Sea: A History (Oxford University Press, 2004) and The Moldovans: Romania, Russia, and the Politics of Culture (Hoover Institution Press, 2000), as well as articles and essays in World Politics, International Security, Slavic Review, Foreign Affairs, and other academic and popular publications. King's book, Midnight at the Pera Palace: The Birth of Modern Istanbul (W.W. Norton, 2014) received a highly positive review by Jason Goodwin in the New York Times Book Review.
King teaches courses in comparative politics, East European studies, and international affairs and is a three-time recipient of teaching awards from Georgetown University.
Before coming to Georgetown in 1996, he was the Rank and Manning Junior Research Fellow at New College, Oxford University, and a Research Associate at the International Institute for Strategic Studies in London. He has appeared on media outlets from CNN and the BBC to the History Channel and MTV.
A former Marshall scholar and Fulbright scholar, King holds a B.A. (History) and B.A. (Philosophy), both summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa, from the University of Arkansas and an M.Phil. (Russian and East European Studies) and D.Phil. (Politics) from Oxford University.
- Gods of the Upper Air: How a Circle of Renegade Anthropologists Reinvented Race, Sex, and Gender in the Twentieth Century (2019) ISBN 9780385542197
- Midnight at the Pera Palace: The Birth of Modern Istanbul (2014) ISBN 978-0393089141
- Odessa: Genius and Death in a City of Dreams (2011) ISBN 0-393-07084-0
- Extreme Politics: Nationalism, Violence, and the End of Eastern Europe (2010) ISBN 0-19-537038-4
- The Ghost of Freedom: A History of the Caucasus (2008) ISBN 0-19-517775-4
- The Black Sea: A History (2004) ISBN 0-19-924161-9
- The Moldovans: Romania, Russia, and the Politics of Culture (1999) ISBN 0-8179-9792-X
- Post-Soviet Moldova: A Borderland in Transition (1998) ISBN 973-98091-1-1
- Nations Abroad: Diaspora Politics and International Relations in the Former Soviet Union (1998), co-editor, ISBN 0-8133-3738-0
- Ending Civil Wars (1997) ISBN 0-19-829343-7
- Goodwin, Jason (2014-12-05). "'Midnight at the Pera Palace,' by Charles King". New York Times. Retrieved 2014-12-29.