Charles Levin (actor)
Charles Herbert Levin
March 12, 1949
|Died||c. June 28, 2019 (aged 70)|
near Selma, Oregon, U.S.
Charles Herbert Levin (March 12, 1949 – c. June 28, 2019) was an American actor who appeared in television, movies and on stage. He was best known for the role of Elliot Novak on the series Alice having become a regular in the show's 9th season and the recurring role of Eddie Gregg on Hill Street Blues from 1982 to 1986.
Life and career
Levin was also known for playing the mohel on "The Bris" episode of Seinfeld and Coco, the gay cook, on the pilot episode of The Golden Girls. His part was dropped because the part of Sophia Petrillo (played by actress Estelle Getty) changed from a recurring part to a main character. This was due to the pilot audience's response to her.
Levin appeared as a guest star on many television shows including Alice (as Vera's husband Elliot Novak), Capital News (as Vinnie DiSalvo), Family Ties, Tales from the Darkside, The Twilight Zone, The Facts of Life, Falcon Crest (as Arthur Haberman), Punky Brewster (as Officer Bob), Thirtysomething, Night Court, L.A. Law (as Robert Caporale), Designing Women, Murphy Brown, NYPD Blue, and Law & Order.
Disappearance and death
On July 8, 2019, Charles Levin's son reported to the police that Levin was missing, and he had not been heard from since June 28. At the time, Levin lived in Grants Pass, Oregon, and was in the process of moving to a new house in the town. Levin's car was found on July 12 on a remote road northeast of Selma, Oregon. His dog, Boo Bear, was deceased inside. Levin's body was found a day later. On November 8, 2019, authorities confirmed Levin's cause of death to be accidental. His car became stuck where it was later found on an unmaintained wilderness road. After trying to free it, it appeared he left the car in search of help and fell down a 30 foot enbankment to his death. He was 70 years old.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (July 2019)
- Everybody Rides the Carousel (1975) - Stage 6 (voice)
- Annie Hall (1977) - Actor in Rehearsal
- Between the Lines (1977) - Paul
- A Doonesbury Special (1977) - Mark Slackmeyer
- Rush It (1978) - Dr. Levy
- Manhattan (1979) - Television Actor #1
- The Seduction of Joe Tynan (1979) - John Cairn
- Honeysuckle Rose (1980) - Sid
- Washington Mistress (1982, TV Movie) - Larry
- Deal of the Century (1983) - Dr. Rechtin
- This Is Spinal Tap (1984) - Disc 'n' Dat Manager
- Do You Remember Love (1985, TV Movie) - Dr. Raymond Sawyer
- The Man with One Red Shoe (1985) - CIA Dentist
- The Golden Child (1986) - TV Host
- The Couch Trip (1988) - TV Reporter
- Home Free (1988, TV Movie) - Barry Kramer
- No Holds Barred (1989) - Ordway
- Immediate Family (1989) - Eli's Dad
- Opposites Attract (1990) - Marcino
- The Bris (1993) - The Mohel
- A Civil Action (1998) - Geologist (final film role)
- "Briefly entertaining". Lakeland Ledger. January 2, 1982. Retrieved September 23, 2011.
- Taylor, Derrick Bryson (July 15, 2019). "Charles Levin, 'Seinfeld' Actor, Is Found Dead in Oregon". The New York Times. Retrieved July 16, 2019.
- Bryson, Derrick (July 15, 2019). "Charles Levin, 'Seinfeld' mohel, is found dead in Oregon". Boston.com. Retrieved July 16, 2019.
|This article about a United States film and television actor or actress born in the 1940s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|