Charles M. Oberly, III
|Charles Monroe Oberly, III|
|United States Attorney for the District of Delaware|
2010 – March 10, 2017
|Preceded by||Colm Connolly|
|41st Attorney General of Delaware|
January 1983 – March 1995
|Preceded by||Richard S. Gebelein|
|Succeeded by||M. Jane Brady|
November 9, 1946 |
Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.
|Alma mater||Wesley College (A.A.)
Pennsylvania State University (B.A.)
University of Virginia School of Law (J.D.)
Charles Monroe Oberly, III (born November 9, 1946) is an attorney in Delaware. He had served as United States Attorney for the District of Delaware from 2010 to 2017 and had served as Attorney General of Delaware from 1983 to 1995.
Early life and education
Oberly was born in 1946 in Wilmington, Delaware. He earned an associate's degree from Wesley College in 1966. Oberly then received a Bachelor of Arts from Pennsylvania State University in 1968 and a Juris Doctor from University of Virginia School of Law in 1971.
Oberly was the Democratic Party's nominee in the 1994 Delaware Senate election. He was defeated by the incumbent Senator, Republican William Roth. Oberly's unsuccessful Senate campaign was managed by Delaware native David Plouffe, who would go on to manage Barack Obama's 2008 presidential campaign.
On September 16, 2010, President Barack Obama nominated Oberly to serve as United States Attorney for the District of Delaware. He was confirmed by the United States Senate on December 10, 2010.
- "Our Campaigns: Oberly III, Charles M.". ourcampaigns.com. Retrieved February 12, 2011.
- Senate Judiciary Committee Questionnaire: Charles Monroe Oberly, III, (September 13, 2010).
- Theo Lippman Jr., Delaware Attorney General Charles Oberly..., The Baltimore Sun (September 8, 1994).
- Chris Cillizza, Can Christine O'Donnell win?, The Fix (September 20, 2010).
- James A. Barnes, Obama's Inner Circle, National Journal (March 31, 2008).
- President Obama Nominates Charles Oberly to Serve as U.S. Attorney, whitehouse.gov (September 16, 2010).
- Andrew Ramonas, Senate Confirms Three U.S. Attorneys, Main Justice (December 10, 2010).
Richard S. Gebelein
|Attorney General of Delaware
M. Jane Brady
|Party political offices|
Shien Biau Woo
|Democratic Party nominee for United States Senator (class 1) from Delaware